12 Fresher Counselor USAID Project Jobs – John Snow, Inc (JSI)
Organization: John Snow, Inc (JSI)
Funding Source: United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Duty Station: Uganda
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a leader in improving the health of individuals and communities by providing high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI has implemented projects in 100 countries, and currently operates from eight U.S. and 81 international offices for the past 30 years. The JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. ID a leading public health research and consulting organization.
About USAID RHITES-N Project:
USAID-RHITES-N, Lango will improve the use of integrated health services in Northern Uganda’s Lango region and strengthen the health system to sustain gains made by earlier projects. USAID-RHITES-N, Lango will contribute to improving key population-based national health indicators; build the capacity of the Ugandan government to carry out a sustainable and locally-driven response to the HIV epidemic, while also improving TB, malaria, nutrition, MNCH+A, and WASH outcomes. JSI will work with Ugandan stakeholders to design and implement health system strengthening strategies to scale up high-impact, evidence-based interventions at the national, sub-regional, district, and community levels. Interventions will include VMMC, virtual elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV, antiretroviral therapy, and condom education and distribution. JSI will focus where the greatest impact can be realized, with a priority on hard-to-reach and high-HIV-prevalence locations.
Job Summary: The Counselor will provide comprehensive counselling services to patients in chronic care in the HIV clinic, antenatal care/ Mother baby care points and Tuberculosis Units.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide quality and comprehensive counseling services to clients, family members, communities and partners, with focus on HIV and TB services
- Empower clients in chronic care to disclose their HIV status to signifi cant others
- Use index client testing to access HIV testing services among children, sexual partners/networks and family members
- Participate in the process of empowering clients with skills for self-reliance and making appropriate succession plans
- Participate in the mobilization and support of communities to offer HIV education and care
- Provide home-based HIV counseling and testing, and TB screening to household members
- Conduct home visits to clients on ART and TB for adherence support
- Establish and support peer support groups for clients
- Participate in the drawing and implementation of the clinic work plans.
- Perform counselling and other support techniques and procedures as requested and prescribed by the clinicians
- High degree of Integrity, Empathy, Patience, Confidentiality
- Possess the ability to work under mental and physical stress
- Provide information to clients, aimed at reducing their vulnerability to diseases and infections through health education.
- Participate in HIV/AIDS awareness at the clinic and sensitizations in the communities
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Key Performance Areas:
- Comprehensive HIV psychosocial services provided
- Comprehensive OVC services delivered
- Clients adhering to ART
- Viral load suppression achieved among clients
- Clients retained in care
- Clients linked to other services
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the USAID RHITES-N Counselor job placement should hold a Diploma in Counselling. A relevant bachelor’s degree Social Work, Counselling Psychology, Guidance will be an added advantage
- Short term capacity development courses on HIV counselling is an added advantage
- The applicant should preferably have at least a year’s experience in HIV Counselling.
- A clear and concise understanding of the psychosocial issues relating to health and illness
- Deep knowledge of care planning procedures
- Good communication, team building, innovative skills
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their updated cover letters and updated CVs to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resource Manager
Deadline: 21st June 2019