2 Junior Systems Developer Job Vacancies – Tugende
Duty Station: Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda
Tugende is a technology enabled asset finance company with a social mission. We provide an affordable path to ownership of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs. Our primary product is a lease to own motorcycle financing package which includes training, life and health insurance, and active support. Tugende currently serves tens of thousands of clients in Uganda and we are preparing to extend our offering into Kenya.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of the informal sector, to expand into other asset financing as successfully as we have with our current core product.
Job Summary: In this position, Tugende is searching for a knowledgeable Systems Developer, with experience working in agile environments, on multiple projects and in teams who will develop smooth running and innovative web applications and software products. This Systems developer role will be essential to the Systems and Innovations Team, allowing us to maintain existing systems and build upon the ever improving systems at Tugende.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Innovation to improve organisational efficiency
- Identifying and suggesting various opportunities to improve efficiency and functionality.
Project Initiation and Concept Development
- Writing concept notes
- Drafting minutes of initiation meetings
- Systematic Documentation of system requirements (both business requirements and user stories)
- Understanding requirements from a business perspective while contributing to developing and refining them.
- Writing clean, reusable and testable code
- Following Agile principles during development
- Optimal design in algorithms
- Testing systems at all levels i.e. Unit tests, Integration tests, Behavioural tests, Stress testing
- Make use of code repos and versioning tools
- Write and implement software solutions that integrate different systems and web apis, and server-side logic
Project Rollout and Closure
- Successful rollout of projects to production
- Monitoring of system performance.
- Putting in place backup and rollback strategies
- Maintain systems that are already in production
- Ensure uptime for the existing systems in Tugende by employing creative ways of improving on them.
- Implement best practices in systems maintenance e.g. backup scripts, log file management, server and resource monitoring, code refactoring etc.
- Implementing data security and protection
Qualifications and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Tugende Junior Systems Developer job should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or relevant fields.
- At least two years’ experience in Python or any other platform Development.
- In-depth knowledge of different python (web) frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask, Pandas,Twisted, Numpy/Pandas,iPython, Matplotlib).
- Familiarity with web stack and underlying protocols and languages (TCP, UDP, HTTP, XML, JSON )
- Database Management (Postgres or MqSQL)
- Server setup and administration (nginx, uWSGI, gunicorn, Apache etc)
- Understanding of general coding concepts e.g. object-oriented development, model view controller, restAPI, Object Relational Mappers.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning and deployment tools (such as Git, Bit bucket, Mercurial SVN or Ansible)
- Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior System Developer, Coordinator of innovations, Senior Systems developer, among others.
- Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by building knowledge and skills using Tugende systems, understanding of lease accounting, Improve computer skills, learning new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges, Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs, participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende and learn how to ride a motorcycle
- Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
- Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a livable wage. Help be part of this movement!
- Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 250+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Tugende in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 25th August 2019