2 Teacher – Karamojong Speaking NGO Jobs – Dwelling Places (DP)
Organisation: Dwelling Places (DP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Restore Program Manager
Dwelling Places (DP) is a registered Christian Non Governmental Organization
(NGO) which specialises in the rescue, rehabilitation, reconciliation, resettlement and follow-up of children living on the streets. The overall objective of DP is to have a society where every child has a chest to rest their head on and a place to call home.
Job Summary: The Teacher (Karamojong Speaking) will ensure that all the young children placed in the residential care or supported by DP and accorded a chance to attain at least one minimum academic qualification based on their abilities and discipline.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct individual assessments of children and development of personalised learning programs and timetables.
- Ensure children in the Creative Learning Center are supervised at all times
- Provide various experiences and activities for children including songs, games and storytelling
- Participate in the orientation of the newly recruited children
- Ensure that the children have a hygienic, safe and conducive learning environment
- Develop lesson plans for the classes teach, implement and assist in completing the assessment of the children.
- Assist in developing individualized plans and provide a nurturing environment, which support the individual development of each young child.
- Teach the basic education needs that include English and Mathematics based on the individual assessment and lesson plans
- Promote a reading culture amongst the young children to improve their reading and pronunciation of English words
- Organise monthly presentations for the children to exhibit what they have learnt.
- Liaise with the social workers to counsel and sensitize the children on the child protection policy and their rights as children
- Keep students records updated with the relevant information.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating class trimming
- Liaise with the health department to facilitate proper first aid to the TRH children.
- Discuss identified problems and needs with professionals as appropriate while keeping a high level of confidentiality for the children’s information.
- Assist in receiving and distribution of school requirements.
- Participate in the DP internal and external teacher’s trainings
- Build the children’s esteem and comfort them when needed
- Be familiar with emergency procedures
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Dwelling Places Teacher – Karamojong Speaking job placement should hold a diploma in early childhood development/ Nursery teaching or related field of study
- Qualified Primary/Nursery school teacher
- At least two years of experience teaching in the classroom
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience may be substitute
- Possess the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and the community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to identify and solve problems; ability to make decisions
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Able to disciple, mentor, and give biblical counseling
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send the following;
- A handwritten application letter with and updated CV with academic qualifications
- A pastor’s letter, LC1 Letter and letter of recommendation from previous employer
- Two passport size photos
Deliver your applications to: Dwelling Places Head Office – Off Nalukolongo Masaka road near Mutundwe Police Station between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0312-513701
Deadline: 8th February 2019