2 UN Transit Centre Assistant Job Opportunities – International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Job Title: Transit Centre Assistant (2 Job Opportunities)
Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Officer
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Summary: The Transit Centre Assistant is responsible for performing resettlement operations in compliance with IOM established procedures to ensure orderly and timely movements of refugees and migrants.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake the activities of the Transit Centre in providing accommodation, food, transportation, advice and any other required assistance to the refugees,
- Understand and implement the IOM Transit Centre Standard Operating Procedures in day to day work
- Prepare for beneficiary arrivals to the transit centre by reviewing Advanced Booking Notifications (ABN) and correspondence from Operations and medical,
- Assist with transport arrangements for cases travelling from the camps for interviews, medicals or departure. Welcome and orient beneficiary arrivals to the Transit Centre, prepare and complete accommodation forms and identify special needs of the beneficiary.
- Work in close coordination with Movement and Medical Department assist in the transportation of refugees to interview, medical screening sites and to the airport. Escort refugees to specific appointments when necessary,
- Update the transit centre database to reflect refugee arrivals, needs, activities and departures and produce narrative and statistical shift reports and any other requested reports related to the activities of Transit Centre,
- Co-ordinate activities with the Transit Centre Manager and report any incidents, problems or medical conditions of the refugees immediately at any time of the day or night,
- Coordinate visiting missions to the transit centre; ensuring rooms/IT equipment/programming needs are met, schedule and contact beneficiaries as applicable
- Organize assistance to the representatives of different immigration organizations performing interviews at Transit Centre,
- Occupy and run the transit centre control centre; responding to emails from other IOM units and partners, managing daily work flow, managing transportation/drivers and serving as the focal point in case of emergencies or incidents.
- Undertake airport duty (such as check-in and arrival assistance) for all IOM cases departing or arriving as per laid down regulations.
- Ensure relevant airport services are made available for cases with the special needs including medical cases and unaccompanied minors,
- Liaise with the pre-departure nurse on PDMS and fit to travel medical checks for all departing beneficiaries
- Send weekly and monthly reports on the transit centre activities; long stayers report, monthly accommodation report, incident report
- Assume the following responsibilities when working overnight at the transit Centre
- Ensure that utilities are functioning (water, electricity, security) and report any lapse in service to the transit centre manager
- Respond to emergencies
- Mediate conflicts between residents
- Assume overall responsibility of the Transit Centre, residents and subcontractors
- Creation and dissemination of the night report
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Transit Centre Assistant job opportunity should hold a High School Degree/ Certificate with 4 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with two years of relevant experience in social sciences or related field
- At least four years of work experience in camp/accommodation coordination, logistics and transport.
- At least two years’ work experience assisting refugees.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Required IOM functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player, and cross cultural facilitator.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Thorough knowledge of English and Swahili, Kinyabwisha and Kinyarwanda is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated resumes with three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 06/06/018 Transit Centre Assistant.” Please ensure that send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF. The title of your attachment should be your full name.
NB: Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Deadline: 15th July 2018 by 12:00pm