3 Data Manager Job Placements – MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Organization: MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Position Code: DM -720
Reports to: Head of Data Management
The Medical Research Council (MRC UK) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
Job Summary: The Data Manager will manage data for allocated studies. Mainly responsible for providing complete & clean data sets to the statistician, provide weekly reports on study progress and conduct basic data analysis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the data management of the studies they are working on.
- Design/program the Database Management Information System for their studies, and create database tables.
- Resolve problems that may occur during the data entry.
- Run reports to identify and solve discrepancies, missing records/data and other problems with the data in the databases.
- Ensure that data corrections received are updated on the main database.
- Ensure adequate backups of the data exist on external drives and servers, and are available in case of problems.
- Run simple analyses such as: merging and appending files, calculating new variables, obtaining line lists and frequencies, and graphs.
- Organise the results of these analyses into a presentable format (reports) to pass to the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Extract data and transform it to a format required by the PI, sponsors or collaborators
- To liaise with the study PI to answer any questions related to the data or results.
- Contribute to result presentations: Present interim analysis at study meetings.
- Ensure Data Management Assistants (DMAs) have the correct data entry program while entering their study data,
- Supervise DMAs while entering data for studies they manage.
- Staff appraisal for those supervised.
- Mentor/train Senior Data Management Assistants (SDMAs) and DMAs on database designing and data checking.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a data-related field (e.g. IT, Statistics, database programming, Software engineering, computer science, Quantitative economics).
- Numerate and literate with 2 years of clinical trials experience of working with data
- At least 3 years of practical experience working as a Data Manager.
- 4 years working experience as a data entrant may be considered.
- 2 & 3 years of experience using Redcap & OpenClinica respectively.
- Experience of having worked extensively with one or two studies, showing the desire and aptitude for the management of data within those studies is desired.
- Knowledge of GCP and GCP-compliant database software.
- Use of Statistical analysis software e.g. Stata, SPSS or EpiInfo; programming and database design skills; Lab Data Management systems such as LIMs and Freezer work is desired.
How to Apply:
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
- Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- This position is open to Ugandan nationals only.
- Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert.
- Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
- MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda research Unit is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse work force and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
Deadline: 24th July 2020 at 5:00pm