3 Entry Level Officer Tax Crime Job Vacancies – Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Organisation: Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) was established by the Uganda Revenue Authority Statute of 1991 and set up in September of the same year as a central body for assessment and collection of specified revenue, to administer and enforce the laws relating to such revenue and to provide for related matters. This statute incorporated all the laws that were in force then regarding tax collection. The new organization (URA) amalgamated the three tax administration departments that were responsible for all the taxes collected by the Central Government of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Officer Tax Crime will mainly implement assigned roles in the investigation of cases and gather admissible evidence to aid in the prosecution of tax offenders
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop the Investigation Planning Memorandum to guide in the investigation of suspected tax fraud
- Study Intelligence report from intelligence to understand the background of the case
- Carry out further intelligence into the target profile in order to get additional information where the information obtained is inadequate.
- Review internally available information on the case being handled to confirm risks identified by the intelligence unit
- Identify the critical activities to be performed during investigation.
- Prepare IPM and submit to the immediate supervisor for review
Collect and analyze data in order compute any evaded taxes and to identify possible admissible evidence in the prosecution of tax offenders.
- Engage the clients to provide specific information required to further the case as directed by the division head.
- Prepare seizure documents for review by the line manager where information is to be obtained through seizure exercise.
- Carry out the assigned activities in preparation for and during the seizure exercise and prepare the post seizure report
- Prepare minutes of the proceedings during engagements with the clients
- Compile and analyze data collected from the client, 3rd parties and internal sources to identify inconsistencies and variances.
- Prepare a Preliminary Investigation Report to provide recommendation on the way forward of the case under investigation
Prepare reports on the allocated tasks to feed into the investigation reports that facilitate further decision making on cases
- Prepare a Preliminary-Investigation report with findings and recommendations from the analysis and submit to the line supervisor for review.
- Prepare learning points and memos to operational departments on key compliance issues identified during the investigation to guide them on future compliance monitoring
- Prepare and document evidence that may be required to defend the tax position in case of civil litigation
- Coordinate with operational departments and monitor compliance actions undertaken on the investigated cases and report on any anomalies.
- Draft periodic reports for the team in line with the set guidelines
- Compile and index the Investigation files
- Draft Management letters to client and Domestic taxes department recommending collection of taxes outstanding for review
- Prepare other communications to internal and external clients for review and further administration
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) Officer Tax Crime job opportunities should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field from a reputable university
- Total Tax Person training (TTP)
- Certified in Fraud Examination is desired
- Post Graduate Diploma in Tax Investigation (PODITI)
- Basic training in Financial Crime Investigations
- Basic training in taxation
- Basic training in Data Analytics
- One year of working experience in managing an investigation or Litigation process.
- Knowledge of applicable National and Regional Tax laws and other Laws such as the Penal Code Act, Evidence Act & Computer Misuse Act
- Knowledge in finance and taxation
- S/he should have the ability to analyze large volumes of data using applicable data analysis tools
- S/he should possess good Investigative and Intelligence skills
- S/he should have good Interpersonal skills
- S/he should have good Communication skills
- S/he should be able to work as part of a team
- S/he should have good research and evidence gathering skills
- S/he should be flexible and have ability to under pressure and deliver results
- Good problem analysis and solving skills
- S/he should have a high level of integrity
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join URA should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 16th July 2019 at 11:59pm