3 Public Health Educator US Non-profit Job Placements – Samaritan’s Purse
Organization: Samaritan’s Purse
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Job Summary: The Public Health Educator (PHE) will promote good hygiene and sanitation practices through the Samaritan’s Purse Urban WASH project. S/He will be responsible for promoting community health by assisting communities in adopting healthy behaviors. S/he will collect and analyze data to identify community needs to influence planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the design of the technical and implementation aspects of Samaritan’s Purse WASH Project(s) in target location(s), ensuring the project will satisfy the needs of the beneficiaries.
- Prioritize community engagement and utilize accountability mechanisms to ensure that beneficiary feedback is incorporated into program design and documented learning, advocating for community.
- Conduct outreaches to discuss hygiene and sanitation care concerns with community members and to encourage more people to actively participate.
- Establish and strengthen community health initiatives, liaising with relevant community groups.
- Develop the training curriculum for children, youth, and women.
- Recruit, train, and supervise community tutors.
- Complete regular activity reports, working with the Project Manager to monitor and maintain project progress to ensure goals are achieved on time, evaluating challenges as they arise and proposing solutions.
- Uphold a high standard of quality by ensuring activities adhere to technical and government standards, and are aligned with internal and external strategic objectives.
- Conduct all activities in the most cost-effective and efficient manner, in coordination with team members, other departments and in line with Samaritan’s Purse, government and donor policies and best practices.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree Public Health, Social Work, Development Studies, or related field.
- At least three (3) years’ relevant experience, preferably with experience in WASH programming.
- A passion for public health education, behavior change and community development.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement and in leading and managing volunteers.
- Ability to coordinate activities with other agencies, build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Proactive, flexible, adaptable and results-oriented; good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team working skills, with a mature, assured, patient and resilient disposition.
- Willingness to spend extended time in the field.
- Commitment to excellence, integrity and stewardship of resources.
- Must agree with and uphold the values and objectives of the organization.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates Please submit cover letter and CV (including references) by email to email@example.com or in hard copy to Samaritan’s Purse Uganda, Plot 126 Luthuli Avenue, Bugolobi. Kampala.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Deadline: Monday 8th June 2020