8 Entry Level Laboratory Technician NGO Job Vacancies – Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Organization: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Funding Source: Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/PEPFAR
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Facility Lab-In charge
Vacancy Code: LABT X018
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to “Strengthen Health Systems in Africa with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases through Research and Capacity Development”. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening Programmes.
With funding from Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/PEPFAR, and in partnership with MoH and respective District Local Governments, IDI is implementing comprehensive HIV/AIDS services in the West Nile region of Uganda under the project “Accelerating and Sustaining HIV Epidemic Control and Related Diseases in West-Nile Region of Uganda under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), 2020-2025”. The project supports the 12 districts of; Arua, Maracha, Madi-Okollo, Terego, Koboko, Yumbe, Moyo, Obongi, Adjumani, Pakwach, Nebbi and Zombo.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technician will work as a member of the lab team to support Lab related health system strengthening support. Work with the team to perform different laboratory tests to inform diagnosis of different diseases and monitoring of disease progression among clients in line with the National Health Laboratory Strategic plan/policy and Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GLCP)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform Quality assurance procedures including daily quality control, monthly comparability tests and quarterly proficiency testing on the various tests offered at the facility in line with the laboratory quality manual and MoH Laboratory Quality Improvement Program guidelines.
- Study and implement periodic recommendations in regard to MoH laboratory accreditation processes in supported regional laboratory hubs of operation and in health facilities to enhance proper functioning of the laboratory in liaison with other regional laboratory staff in line with the WHO AFRO SLMTA /SLIPTA accreditation standards.
- Implement Biosafety and waste management procedures to maintain healthy, hygienic and safety aspects and work place needs routinely in line with MoH Biosafety and Health Care Waste management guidelines
- Perform specimen collection from HF patients, referral of specimens (CD4, DBS, sputum, serology and chemistry samples) and reception of referred specimens including verification and documentation/ accessioning of specimens within realistic Turn Around Times in line with GLCP.
- Conduct regular periodic maintenance procedures for laboratory equipment/machines/their parts as per available service schedules as well routinely monitor equipment and environmental temperatures in line with GLCP, MoH SOPs and equipment manuals.
- Conduct forecasts of laboratory reagents and supplies, make monthly requisitions for the required inventory from HF main store and manage the laboratory store as well as distribute reagents and supplies to testing points in line with HF store management procedures.
- Proficiently Perform sample processing, testing and analysis using MoH/ facility laboratory SOP’s and automated instrumentation where applicable for respective assays while ensuring proper documentation and timely dissemination of results in line with GCLP practices.
- Provide technical support as a member of the laboratory Technical Assistance Team to staff conducting RCT at various testing points through staff development, joint agreement and performance assessment/feedback on quality improvement interventions as per identified gaps to improve delivery of laboratory services.
- Generate and timely forward copies of weekly, monthly and quarterly laboratory reports as per set HF laboratory targets to supervisors, the regional laboratory
- coordinator and the district lab focal personnel in line with expected MoH and IDI reporting Guidelines
- Oversee Hub operations, sample transportation and result transmission systems under the supported field office.
- Support processes geared towards accreditation of laboratories in the supported districts
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Medical laboratory technology
- Two years of laboratory work experience.
- Active registration with Allied Health Professional Council
- Possess key personal competences in customer care principles, Team, supervisory and analytical skills as well as networking and communication skills.
- Documentation, reporting, presentation and training skills as well as proficient use of automated laboratory instrumentation skills will be added advantage.
- Should have knowledge in laboratory CQI
- Willingness to work and live in rural areas is required
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their CVs, including details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address. Email your application and CV to email@example.com
- IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
- Make sure that your application letter, CV (Not more than 4pages) and certificates are attached as one PDF document.
- Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email.
- Please note that if you DO NOT indicate the vacancy code as instructed above, your application will not be considered.
- Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 4th October 2020
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda