Accountant Jobs – Samasource
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Makerere University News Updates for 2019 - 2020
Samasource is a non-profit business with the mission to reduce global poverty by outsourcing digital work to unemployed people in impoverished countries. We enrich and organize your large datasets, with a business model that lifts people out of poverty by providing training and internet-based work. Microsoft, Google, and hundreds of other Fortune 500s and AI startups rely on Samasource to deliver secure, high-quality training data for the AI teams driving humanity forward. From self-driving cars to smart hardware, Samasource fuels AI. Founded over a decade ago, we’re experts in image, video and sensor data annotation and validation for machine learning algorithms in industries including automotive, navigation, AR/VR, biotech, agriculture, manufacturing, and e-commerce. Our staff are driven by a mission to expand opportunity for low-income people through the digital economy, and our social business model has lifted over 45,000 people out of poverty.
Job Summary: The Accountant will be responsible for the maintenance of financial documentation and records, preparation and verification of monthly statements, reconciliation of bank accounts, financial analysis and preparation of financial projections.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare Bank Reconciliation statements, and make clear recommendations to resolve Reconciliation Items
- Managing all accounting operations based on acceptable accounting principles.
- Handling tax administration; filling all tax returns PAYE, VAT, etc
- Compiling transactions and summarizing work done in accounts covered by employees from all departments/sections
- Managing petty cash and ensuring the availability of an appropriate amount of petty cash
- Assisting the Finance Director in preparation of monthly cash projections
- Reconciling staff advances for review by the Finance Director
- Liaising with the other departments to ensure receipt of invoices and necessary support documentation for timely payment of vendors
- Reporting irregularities and taking appropriate measures without delay.
- Support the Finance Director in assessing compliance with Uganda Government laws and regulations governing the operation of the implementing institutions including accounting standards and the requirements for audits and ﬁnancial reporting.
- Review external auditor’s reports (Audit Opinions and management letters), including any qualifications and whether any concerns raised by auditors have been adequately addressed
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Samasource Accountant job should hold a university degree in Accounting/Finance/Auditing and/or a full professional qualification in A.C.C.A, CPA, CA, CIA or CMA or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience and skills that include the following:
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills
- Possess extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, QuickBooks, and MS Access
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Knowledge of work planning, budgeting, and reporting
- Show good organizational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Possess good interpersonal skills; should be able to work in a multicultural environment.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication
- Have the ability to maintain a high level of integrity and confidentiality
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Samasource in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 24th February 2019