Accounts Assistant Jobs – Laterite Uganda
Organization: Laterite Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Accounts Associate
At Laterite, we transform the way development research is done. Our mission is to deploy the most innovative research methods and the latest academic thinking to design effective responses to development issues. We provide three types of services to clients: i) comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions; ii) research services, from the design of large scale research projects through to analysis; and iii) strategic and technical advice to public and private sector clients. Laterite currently operates in Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia, India and the Netherlands. Laterite brings together more than 40 full time staff. In the last few years, we have successfully completed over 100 research projects, working with internationally recognized universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations and several Government ministries and agencies.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant will support the accounting and finance functions for the Uganda office. The Accounts Assistant will provide support with managing our accounting and finance functions for the Uganda office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform book-keeping for all expenses and revenues in the Uganda office using Quick Books
- Manage the filing of all contracts, invoices and salary slips and other relevant documents
- Ensure compliance and timely filing of all taxation and other regulatory requirements (NSSF, PAYE, VAT & WHT)
- Review all field expenses including sitting with enumerators for reconciliation of budget with actual expenses as well preparing a project expense report for each batch of field expenses
- Process payments for any project related expenses and also supplier payments
- Ensure controls for certain project-related expenses and increase our cost-efficiency by diversifying and improving our agreements with suppliers
- Liaise with the tax advisors and external auditors to to respond to queries, provide documents and seek advice / resolution from them.
- Performing regular reconciliations e.g. petty cash, bank reconciliations and tax reconciliations
- Management and monitoring cash and bank balances and ensuring adequate balances to meet all payment needs.
- Manage office equipment (printers, furniture, office keys, etc) and report any issues to the management
- Help with logistics for enumerator training, workshops and meetings (booking rooms, catering, hiring furniture, organizing transport, etc)
- Perform other tasks/duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a BA Degree in Accounting/Finance (Masters, CA or CFA qualification is a plus)
- One to two years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software and excellent knowledge of accounting, book-keeping and forecasting and operations management, and proficiency in MS-Office especially Excel
How to Apply:
Please complete the following application: Click Here. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply ASAP. The application process will involve three steps: (i) an online application, (ii) an online assessment; and (iii) interviews.