Administrative Assistant (UN Diploma Jobs) – United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 20-Administration-RSCE-146861-R-Entebbe (M)
Reports to: Deputy Chief Regional Service Centre Entebbe
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will carry out the following duties:
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Deputy Chief RSCE`s office by maintaining contact with visitors and staff, arrange appointments and meetings including meeting room reservation, compiling and preparing briefing and presentation material, background information and documentation for meetings. Supports the office with leave monitoring and maintaining leave and absences.
- Make travel arrangements and hotel reservations, processing requests for visa, ID cards and other documents. Provide administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats. Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources, preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports. Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, action taken and coordination of collection and submission of reports to Service line managers. Assists with archiving and maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Participates in relevant training for administrative staff.
- Ensures effective administrative and logistical support by assisting support services provided to all RSCE staff and staff of the Client Missions. Support the Deputy Chief RSCE in drafting and maintaining SOPs and FAQs.
- Enters, maintains and certifies administrative data and records for time and attendance, performance appraisal, etc. in electronic information systems.
- Reviews entitlements-related claims and reports.
- Provides advice and guidance to staff with respect to administrative procedures, processes and practices, liaising with central administrative services as necessary.
- Maintains and reviews organizational staffing tables; prints and reviews reports.
- Prepares processes and follows-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff within the Deputy Chief RSCE pillar.
- Drafts routine correspondence.
- Maintains online and physical files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions and other documentation related to the work of the Deputy Chief.
- Assists with recruitment related activities including the scheduling of interviews, note taking and drafting of evaluations as well as other related tasks.
- Coordinates extensively with other stakeholders including RSCE Service line, client mission and other senior leadership front office staff.
- Performs other related administrative duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Administrative Assistant job placement should hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint are required.
- Experience in utilizing the human resources and travel module of an ERP system such as Peoplesoft or SAP is desirable.
- Experience in working in a front office setting is desirable.
- Experience in the United Nations Common system or similar international organization is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism –Knowledge of United Nations administrative policies, rules and regulations. Ability to function in a client oriented manner in a front office setting. Ability to demonstrate effective time management skills. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written and spoken form. Ability to demonstrate excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
No Fee: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications through the United Nations online portal at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd January 2021
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE