Agricultural Technical Officer Jobs – SolarNow
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Agricultural Sales Manager and Agri Marketing Manager
Suggested start date: May,2019
To tackle this, SolarNow sells quality solar products and suitable appliances ranging from small household systems capable of powering a lights, radio, phone, TV and/or fridge to much larger systems suitable for offices, schools and machinery. Increasingly SolarNow is also catering to the needs of off-grid farmers by providing irrigation solutions and other agricultural appliances. SolarNow provides credit and service that allows customers to spread payments over 24 months and receive service for 5 years. The company has over 1,000 employees and a network of 50 branches in Uganda and 15 branches in Western Kenya. There are concrete plans to expand within and beyond these territories.
Job Summary: The Agricultural Technical Officer (Agri-TO) will support SolarNow’s solar irrigation equipment under their agricultural product range, among which water pumps and drip irrigation kits. In 2019 this product range will further be developed by including additional agricultural products that contribute to a more productive and sustainable farming sector in Uganda. The agricultural Technical Officer will be responsible for agri-product installations and quality control.
You are someone who cares deeply about improving livelihoods in Africa, but you bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to make change happen. You are excited about understanding this nascent industry, the SolarNow products, its unique value proposition and the difference they make. You have a successful track record in business to business sales, bringing products to rural off-grid market and are a dynamic problem-solver who has strong empathy and passion for rural off-grid households and the people you work with, and you have strong affinity with improving the agricultural sector. You are the person who represents the client in the organisation but are at the same time the number one advocate of the product and value proposition. You are curious and do not fear to challenge the status quo, but are sensitive in how to communicate this. You build strong and effective bridges within the organisation to achieve real results. You are not afraid to fail and see it as an opportunity to learn!
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure revenue growth through ever increasing client satisfaction by:
- Install irrigation systems and other agricultural equipment, specifically drip irrigation kits
- Provide technical guidance to sales staff and branch technical officers,
- Give technical advice and demonstrations to interested clients,
- Responsible for installation and maintenance demonstration sites,
- Ensure quality assurance of our clients’ systems
- Responsible for service and maintenance of drip irrigation kits and related irrigation equipment.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Solarnow Agricultural Technical Officer job placement must hold an Advanced Certificate/ Diploma and/or Degree in agricultural mechanization, engineering, or related field.
- Three years of work experience in installation of drip irrigation products and/or other agricultural equipment.
- A passion for agriculture and proven experience working with farmers.
- An eye for detail, proven technical skills
- Willingness to travel and to be in the field 80% of your time.
- High level of responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team;
- Competence in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications to the Human Resource Manager, SolarNow Uganda Services via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with their updated CVs (no other documents). Please use the following subject: Application for Agricultural Technical Officer – “Your Name”.
NB: SolarNow will review applications based on a first come first serve basis and might close the vacancy ahead of schedule should a suitable candidate haven been found.