Animal Health Advisor USAID Project Jobs – Mercy Corps
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Animal health Manager – Apolou Activity
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Working in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has applied market-driven solutions to communities across the country, equipping individuals and households with the knowledge, skills and confidence to generate improvements in their access to markets, livelihoods, health, nutrition, and security, in order to improve their overall resilience.
About USAID Project:
Mercy Corps is implementing a five year USAID funded food and nutrition security Activity called Apolou in Karenga, Kaabong, Kotido, Amudat and Moroto Districts. In addition to this funding, Mercy Corps was awarded funding for an Animal Health for Resilience Activity on Animal Health interventions and policy in the Karamoja sub-region through USAID’s Resilience Challenge Fund. Activities will be focused on Kaabong and Amudat Districts. The overall goal of the Animal Health for Resilience Activity is to increase veterinary governance and increase public and private investment in disease prevention, surveillance, control, and response systems to strengthen productive assets for improved resilience in Karamoja.
Job Summary: The Animal Health- Adviser will support the development and roll-out of sound implementation plans that are in line with the program’s theory of change, strategy development, implementation and quality control for the Animal Health for Resilience Activity within the broader Apolou Activity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with the Government of Uganda at national and district levels, the position will participate the design and implementation of a 1-2 cost-effective livestock disease surveillance, monitoring and response systems.
- Animal health advisor will be responsible for the design and development and operationalization of active and passive livestock disease surveillance, Livestock Early Warning System LEWs and response mechanisms in Kaabong and Amudat districts
- Participate in desk review and interview experts in public animal health systems to capture lessons learned and recommendations. With this information and in close consultation with district officials, Propose and co create different models such as an event- and indicator- based surveillance, and community-based surveillance systems in Kaabong and Amudat
- Pilot disease surveillance/response systems including overseeing the completion of a cost-benefit analysis of different models.
- Will work in coordination with Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) to prepare and endorse an animal health services capacity-strengthening plan for the Karamoja region.
- Coordinate with other program Livestock, Livelihoods and Apolou teams to support activity integration and information sharing within Apolou and other similar programs.
- Coordinate with GoU to provide technical expertise, analyze surveillance data, conduct studies, provide recommendations to partners, and conduct epidemiologic and programmatic assessments using program-developed instruments and tools.
- Coordinate and assist government and CBO organizations that conduct animal health and disease outbreak response in Karamoja.
- Plan, lead and organize meetings and workshops to support strengthening of veterinary epidemiology capacities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must be a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with 4-6 years direct experience partnering with governments on animal health and disease. surveillance systems including 3 years minimum experience in health or public health program management.
- An advanced degree animal health.
- Experience working on policy and advocacy change with Government of Uganda, MAAIF specifically.
- Knowledge of and experience working with complex MEL systems.
- Experience working with USAID as a donor preferred.
- Understanding of and experience of working with Resilience concepts.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience working on livestock research.
- Good self-management and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in or for Karamoja a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English language.
- PMD Pro certification or equivalent is an advantage.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Mercy Corps in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 17th June 2020
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda