Business Sustainability & Upgrading Specialist (BSUS) – Processor NGO Jobs – TechnoServe
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Business Sustainability and Upgrading Manager (BSUM)
Travel: Remote Rural Locations
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
About VINES Project:
TechnoServe, CRS and Frontier Co-op are implementing VINES, a five year, $13 million, USDA Food for Progress program that will make Uganda the world’s next leading supplier of high-quality vanilla. Led by CRS, VINES will leverage the expertise of CRS and its world class consortium of partners (including TechnoServe), associated experts and leading international buyers to provide technical assistance to enhance the production of safe, clean, pure vanilla, develop market links with US trade networks, and strengthen an enabling public policy network to reduce vanilla theft to transform the lives of 16,200 farmers, 356 self-employed service and input providers, 480 processors’ employees; and generating 15,820 new on-farm seasonal and permanent processing jobs to reach 32,856 vanilla stakeholders.
In turn, this will provide international buyers with a new origin that will stabilize the extreme price volatility for this unique spice.
Within the consortium, TechnoServe will lead in market analysis, business planning, farmer business capacity building, agripreneur and youth training, input supply and business relationship management.
Job Summary: Technoserve is recruiting a Business Sustainability and Upgrading Specialist who will support the implementation of TechnoServe’s efforts under VINES-Project and contribute to the overall delivery of program activities with a particular focus on access to finance and supply chain development of vanilla processors and exporters. This includes supporting clients vis a vis the Vanilla Innovation and Expansion Fund mechanism capital expenditure or working capital loans and loan guarantees, supported by an impact investment fund to motivate banks to explore commercial credit Isidro Investment fund.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Capacity building of Processors
- Managerial capacity building of processor organizations
- Provide clients (Processors) with technical assistance, training, tools and methodologies to ensure their optimal performance and sound management
- Provides direct technical assistance to processors clients in areas of research and development of business plans, marketing plans, financial records, loan proposals and related business development requirements.
- Build the capacity of processors and provide advice and assistance in the establishment and maintenance of business and financial records and recordkeeping systems, in compliance with all relevant business, accounting, and taxation laws, regulations, guidelines, and standards.
Facilitate Market linkages and Agricultural Finance
- Provide leadership in conducting sector wide mapping and analysis to develop detailed understanding of vanilla market MSMEs, determine segmentation by capacity levels, and detail capacity gaps and needs to inform capacity building strategy.
- Identify and deliver technical and financial training and BDS support that are required to complement any commercial finance for the partners’ co-investment
- Provide customized business and technical advisory support to processors
- Facilitate relationship and business partnerships development between POs, Processors and other actors with commercial finance Service providers to leverage additional finance.
- Evaluates business proposals together with client financial and business status to assess viability and bankability of proposals; advises clients as appropriate.
- Support sector wide trainings in market analysis, profitability analysis, investment plan development, value proposition design and testing, business planning, financial record preparation, and general support in how to prepare a supply chain upgrading plan
- Analyze local market demand, feasibility and profitability of complementary value chains such as coffee, cocoa, jackfruit, etc.
Program Coordination and Implementation:
- Contribute to project activity reports and TechnoServe internal monitoring, evaluation, and Learning (MEL)
- Collect and report data and support Microenterprise Counselors to collect accurate data from beneficiaries based on the project MEL plan.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the TechnoServe Business Sustainability & Upgrading Specialist (BSUS) – Processor job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Studies or related.
- At least five years of relevant professional and program management experience in agribusiness development, agricultural value chains, rural development and/or rural finance.
- OR Master’s Degree plus 3 years’ experience
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills
- Experience working with food aggregation and processing, supply chain development, out-grower networks, and knowledge of Market Systems Development approach preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills a must
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to develop business plans, marketing plans, financial strategies, and business loan proposals.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Proven ability and experience working with teams will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English required
- Female and region-based candidates strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE