Consultancy Jobs – Graphic Designer – The Kaizen Company
Job Title: Consultancy Jobs – Graphic Designer
Organisation: The Kaizen Company
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is an international development consulting firm and an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals. We aspire to transform the nature and impact of development assistance and work to strengthen organizations and institutions through innovative approaches to organizational development, reform, and change.
Job Summary: The purpose of hiring the Graphic Designer is to assist the Organizational Development Director and Learning& Development Director. The Graphic Designer may also work more broadly across the ODA team to support specific activities and events, with guidance from ODA team members. The Graphic Designer will be compensated based on a daily basis. It is expected that the selected Graphic Designer will work as needed, based on specific terms of reference to be defined for each assignment. Kaizen, through the USAID Organizational Development Activity (ODA), is currently seeking an experienced graphic designer to work with our team on a consultancy basis starting February 2019.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creation of a graphic identity for ODA, based on guidance provided by the program administration
- Layout and design of information and communication materials for printing and electronic distribution- reports, booklets, project brochures, newsletters, event programs and magazines, banners, posters, business cards etc.
- Improve and edit artwork, photos, charts, infographics and other graphic elements
- Create animations for illustrative purposes when needed
- Design of CD/DVD packaging, graphic digitalization
- Custom photo editing (restoration, noise reduction, tonal adjustment)
- Maintain archive of all the work done
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design, including the use of design software such as Adobe Design Premium, In-Design, CorelDraw, web design tools such as Dreamweaver and Flash, etc
- Show a clear and mature style of design, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of an international development firm
- Proven experience of graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and colour management
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms
- Knowledge of standard software packages, including MS Office–MS Access–MS
- Visio –Adobe Acrobat and an easy adaptation to new technologies for excellent results
- Works on an on-call basis
- Follows ODA’s design guidelines and requirements, with strict adherence to colors, layout, and fonts, as needed
- Able to cope during high-pressure phases and deliver within given deadlines
- Cooperation with ODA team, seeking to understand their point of view and offer best solutions
- Working experience of the development implementer, donor agency environment
- Professionalism and excellent communication about tasks given, including expectations, timelines, and standards
Supervision & Reporting: The Graphic Designer will report directly to the Organizational Development Director or his/her designee, who holds the primary responsibility for the unit. Other key working relationships will be with the USAID Organizational Development Activity (ODA) staff based in Kampala.
Working Conditions: The Graphic Designer will coordinate with the nine-person Uganda team at the Embassy Plaza office. The Graphic Designer is expected to provide their own computer, software, and other resources to complete their work. The position does not require travel, physical exertion, or unacceptably hard conditions.
How to Apply:
To be considered please submit the following:
- Your resume (or link to online resume or portfolio)
- A narrative, that does not exceed three pages, that highlights:
- Experience in performing the required activities
- Any knowledge and/or experience with the Ugandan or international development community
- What interests you about this consulting project in particular
- Confirmation of your available start date, your bid for the work, and any other important considerations we should be aware of.
- All bids should be given as a daily rate.
- At least one example of design materials, please include: a report or brief of 5+ pages, a PowerPoint presentation, an e-newsletter, or an event program.
Interested firms should send their application details to; firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 16th January 2019