Data Manager NGO Jobs – Medical Research Council (MRC) UK / UVRI
Organization: Medical Research Council (MRC) UK / UVRI
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Data Management
Position Code: DM619
The MRC/UVRI Uganda Virus Research Unit on AIDS was established following a request in 1988 from the Uganda Government to the British Government for collaboration on the research of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency. The Unit is a center of excellence in HIV/AIDS related research. It conducts large-scale epidemiological and intervention studies, clinical trials, virological and immunological research and behavioural studies, and has generated a wealth of research results that have been used to inform policy and practice that have led to a large number of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals over time.
About OMWaNA study:
The OMWaNA study is a partnership between the (MRC/UVRI), the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and Makerere University. It is a randomized controlled trial (RCT) whose primary aim is to examine the impact of Kangaroo mother care (KMC) initiated before stabilisation on mortality within 7 days relative to standard care amongst neonates <2000g. The study will be conducted in four sites in Uganda: Jinja Regional Referral Hospital, Masaka Regional Referral Hospital, Entebbe Regional Referral Hospital and Iganga District Hospital.
Job Summary: The Data Manager will design data entry programs, set up study databases for projects and carry out data management by cleaning and checking the data. To provide simple summary statistics, listings and results from the database.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To manage the OMWaNA study database, and field site OMWaNA data management activities;
- To prepare reports to identify and resolve discrepancies, missing records/data and other problems with the data;
- To supervise data collection by the OMWaNA study staff and ensure accurate and timely data entry and query resolution;
- To run simple analyses such as merging and appending files;
- To train and mentor OMWaNA study staff who will be collecting the data using both electronic and paper based case report forms;
- To compile study progress reports;
- To undertake additional tasks as required by the Head of Data Management and/or the OMWaNA project leaders.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Medical Research Council (MRC) UK / UVRI) Data Manager job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a data-related field (e.g. IT, Statistics, database programming,
- Software engineering, computer science, Quantitative economics)
- Significant practical experience (i.e. at least three years) working as a senior data management assistant in a medical/epidemiological research environment
- Experience in the design and analysis of clinical trials;
- Two years of experience in management of data on at least 3 clinical studies including on a randomized controlled trial
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good analytical and numeracy skills with a good understanding of data management issues in medical research
- Experience working with specialized GCP Compliant database management system software e.g. OpenClinica, REDCap.
- Experience using Statistical analysis software e.g. Stata, SPSS or EpiInfo; programming and database design skills; Lab Data Management systems such as LIMs and Freezer works is an added advantage.
- Record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals is an added advantage.
- Personal Integrity
- Emotional Resourcefulness
- Ability to Learn
- Forward Thinking
- Openness to Others
- Analytical Thinking
- Conceptual Thinking
- Results Orientation
- Concern for Excellence
- Flexibility Towards Others
- Service Orientation
- Development Orientation
How to Apply:
The candidates should send their application letters, curriculum vitae including names, email addresses and telephone contact details of three (3) referees, plus copies of academic qualifications should be e-mailed to email@example.com. NB: Please quote the following position code in the subject line of the email: DM619. Please also fill the following online form accordingly after submitting the application documents on the e-mail above. Click Here
The Human Resource and Administration Manager
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
P.O. Box, 49 Entebbe.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions. Please note that the Unit became part of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine effective 1st February 2018.
Deadline: 28th June 2019 by 5:00om