Director Non-profit Careers – UVRI-IAVI HIV Vaccine Program
Job Title: Director
Organisation: The UVRI-IAVI HIV Vaccine Program
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: UVRI-IAVI Board of Directors
The UVRI-IAVI HIV Vaccine Program (the Program), founded in 2001, is a not for profit organization with offices and research facilities based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe. The Program’s main activities are conducting research, building capacity and providing advocacy for HIV/AIDS vaccine as well as molecular and epidemiological work toward HIV prevention. The Program is mainly funded by the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), USA but also receives funding from other donors.
Job Summary: The Director will provide transformational leadership to the UVRI- IAVI research and support teams ensuring that there is a clearly articulated and compelling vision and well developed strategic plans. The incumbent will work closely with the Board of Directors to provide UVRI-IAVI with policies, strategic measurement, and other mechanisms that will ensure effective and efficient governance of the organisation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will coordinate the planning and implementation of UVRI-IAVI research studies ensuring that opportunities for innovative HIV vaccine research are identified and grasped.
- Formulate and implement strategies that will enhance the capacity of UVRI-IAVI staff to engage in excellent scientific research; enabling UVRI-IAVI Program to be at the ‘cutting edge’ of worldwide developments in infectious disease research.
- The incumbent will attract external research funding through competitive international grant applications.
- The Director will also represent UVRI-IAVI locally, nationally and internationally, ensuring that UVRI- IAVI Program successes are appropriately publicised and the goals of their public relations, communications and advocacy strategies promoted.
- Lead the Senior Management Team in delivering the UVRI-IAVI’s strategic objectives and work plan according to high standards.
- Provide strategic and scientific leadership of the UVRI-IAVI HIV Vaccine Program and other research program of work including epidemiological research.
- Strengthen scientific collaborations with external institutions, and develop new ones in agreement with the Board.
- Work closely with the UVRI and IAVI leadership and other UVRI and IAVI research partners to identify opportunities for collaborative research.
- Ensure that the performance and quality of scientific program of work is according to international standards and guidelines.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to encourage the career development of program staff.
- Ensure efficient utilisation of resources and timely delivery of scientific outputs.
- Attract external funding through international grant applications.
- Ensure submission of required program, technical and financial reports to funding agencies according to guidelines and timeframes as outlined by contractual agreements.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an MBChB and Master’s degree and/ or PhD in a relevant area (Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology or Immunology/Virology) with a minimum of seven years of research experience as a principal investigator or co-principal investigator of complex clinical and/or epidemiological studies.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in Senior Scientific Management position will be desirable.
- Significant experience in managing internationally funded projects and in ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Extensive relevant experience as a principal investigator on phase I/I I/I 11 clinical trials or epidemiological studies.
- Experience of writing study protocols, grant applications, and ability to secure and oversee the management of internationally competitive research funding.
- Have a strong research profile with publication track record in scientific peer- reviewed journals, and presentations at international meetings.
- HIV research expertise, preferably in clinical trials and HIV vaccines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage a multidisciplinary team, including developing junior colleagues.
- Previous experience in developing international research collaborations and networks, and working with multidisciplinary research teams.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of professional, technical and support staff.
- Understanding of financial management principles is desirable. Communication:
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications including copies of academic qualifications, curriculum vitae and names plus telephone contact details of two (2) referees should either be addressed to:
Uganda Virus Research institute,
P.O. Box 49, Entebbe. Uganda
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 21st September 2017 by 5:00pm East Africa Time.