Director Technical Services Job Vacancies – Dairy Development Authority (DDA)
Organization: Dairy Development Authority (DDA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Dairy Development Authority is a Semi-Autonomous Agency under the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries. Its mandate is to develop and regulate the sector. It is established under the Dairy Industry Act, 1998 and its objectives are to provide proper coordination and efficient implementation of all Government policies which are designed to achieve and maintain self-sufficiency in the production of milk in Uganda by promoting production and competition in the dairy industry and monitoring the market for milk and dairy products.
In order to effectively fulfill the mandate, the Authority is seeking applications from qualified persons who are accomplished to take up the under-listed positions:
Job Summary: To direct all resources- human, financial, technical and others towards the implementation of the National Dairy Strategy (NDS) in order to fast-track the development of the dairy sector and its contribution to the National economy. To spearhead the development and regulatory functions of the Authority to increase milk production and productivity and lead in the development and implementation of strategies and best practices among the dairy farmer groups/co-operatives, milk traders, milk transporters and processors. To improve the level of understanding of the general public about the benefits of milk and dairy products consumption by developing a communication strategy that will deliver the appropriate messages to different target beneficiaries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in the implementation of the National Dairy Strategy (NDS);
- Capacity to guide policy formulation and implementation through the existing local government structures and ensure sustainability;
- To coordinate enforcement and adherence to set standards and regulations by all stakeholders in the dairy industry;
- Direct and manage the implementation of quality/safety standards and regulations governing the production, processing, marketing (including import & export) and consumption of milk and dairy products;
- Monitor quality and safety trends with a view to formulating and establishing interventions to improve the quality and safety of milk for consumers;
- Supervise and guide the implementation of sensitization programmes both in quality assurance and dairy development;
- Guide preparation of annual work-plans and budgets and preparation of reports for the directorate;
- Analyze and disseminate statistical data relating to milk production, marketing and consumption, including import and export and carry out trend analysis;
- Co-ordinate all dairy processing, marketing and promotional activities such as seminars, trade fairs and workshops;
- Develop strategies to strengthen dairy institutions along the entire dairy chain;
- Co-ordinate various dairy development activities such as dairy extension, dairy breeding; dairy research, training and dairy products development;
- Register and train dairy farmers marketing organizations;
- Develop key partnerships and maintain effective communication and bilateral working relationship between the Authority and all stakeholders in the dairy industry, including Local Governments;
- Write proposals towards raising resources for the development of the dairy sector;
- Advise the Executive Director on key policies in respect of provision of linkages between research, extension providers and extension support to dairy farmers;
- Establish and maintain systems to address stakeholder complaints and concerns regarding adherence to dairy standards and regulations;
- Generate and analyze statistical data and information on compliance with dairy standards and regulations to facilitate the evaluation of the regulatory framework;
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine or Honor’s degree in Food science and Technology or Honor’s degree in Animal Production, Technology & Management and any other relevant degree from a recognised University.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field is a must.
- Post Graduate Qualification in Management or Administration is a must.
- At least eight (8) years of working experience of which five (5) years must be in a managerial position from a reputable organisation.
How to Apply:
All Interested applicants who meet the specified job requirements should submit their applications, up to date curriculum vitae and photocopies of certified academic credentials and three referees to the address below.
Dairy Development Authority (DDA)
Plot 1, Kafu Rd. Kampala
Tel: 0414-343883 / 0414-343901/2
Kindly Note: For those sending the applications online, please merge all your document into one file, not exceeding 3mbs
Deadline: 28th February 2020 at 5:00 pm