Driver NGO Job Opportunities – Finn Church Aid (FCA)
Organization: Finn Church Aid (FCA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: HR & Administration Assistant
Finn Church Aid (FCA) is the largest international aid organization in Finland. FCA operates in 14 countries where the need is most dire. FCA works with the poorest people, regardless of their religious beliefs, ethnic background or political affiliations. FCA work is based on promotion of human dignity and fundamental human rights and freedom, implying that FCA operations are guided by equality, non-discrimination and responsibility.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The driver is responsible for operation and maintenance of project Motor vehicles and ensuring the safety and security of authorized passengers, cargo, equipment and tools on board.
- Maintains the assigned motor vehicle and its accessories (log books, jacks, wheel spanners, spare tyres, etc) in good working order and clean condition and makes a thorough daily check of its mechanical condition (e.g. battery, fuel, water, oil, brake fluid, tyre pressure, etc.), and promptly reports any fault, damage or loss;
- Checks regularly and ensures that vehicles have valid motor third party insurance, and assists as required in following up their processing and collection from the banks, insurance companies, and Uganda Revenue Authority offices;
- Conveys staff, visitors and any other authorized personnel on official duty as well as program equipment and materials a safe and secure manner;
- Run errands to collect and deliver mail, parcels, etc as may be assigned;
- Monitors the vehicle fuel gauge constantly, and reports any need for re-fuelling in good time;
- Makes a daily record of trips in the vehicle log book, particularly departure/arrival times and mileage readings, as well as vehicle repairs/service and fuel and lubricants consumption, and reports the due service mileage in good time;
- Verifies repair/service done by a mechanic on return of vehicle from a garage;
- Ensures the safety of the vehicle while on trips;
- Assists in loading/off-loading of project materials onto/from the assigned vehicle;
- Complies strictly with the official highway code and traffic rules and regulations while driving, as well as the relevant FCA policies and procedures;
- Promptly reports to office and/or the police all accidents and problems encountered while on duty;
- Ensures all vehicle doors and windows are securely locked after working hours, prior to handing over the keys and
- Performs any other relevant duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Head of Finance and Administration, Director or his/her designate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Finn Church Aid (FCA) Driver job must hold an O-level certificate of education or equivalent, fluency in English, a clean valid driving license for all classes and knowledge of basic motor vehicle mechanics are essential.
- Certificate in defensive driving will be an added advantage.
- Three years of driving experience is required and MUST have a valid driver’s license, Classes B and DL.
- Proficiency in English and good knowledge of the local language (s)
- Good communication, teamwork spirit, transport skills
- High integrity, hardworking, courteous, dependable, punctual, tidy and well-groomed.
- Willing to work long hours in challenging circumstances when required.
- Knowledge of one of the local languages.
- The ideal candidate must have No history of major accidents.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applications should send a cover letter and a CV (not more than 5 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contact with copies of academic papers addressed to:
The Human Resource and Administration Manager,
Finn Church AID, Uganda Country Office.
P.O. Box 21826 Kampala, Tank Hill Rd, Roche Close, Plot 1495 Muyenga, Uganda.
Email applications should be in one file attachment (Ms Word or PDF) mentioning the position title in the subject to Ugaco.email@example.com and your preferred location.
- Women and PWDS are encouraged to apply.
- Host and Refugee communities are encouraged to apply
Deadline: 2nd August 2020