Driver NGO Job Opportunities – War Child Holland (WCH)
Organization: War Child Holland (WCH)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Project Support Officer/Team Leader
War Child Holland (WCH) is an independent and impartial international non-governmental organization, investing in a peaceful future for children and young people affected by armed conflict. We strive to empower children and young people while enabling adults to bring about positive and lasting change in the lives of conflict affected children and young people.
Job Summary: The driver is primarily responsible for providing services including driving, logistics, minor vehicle maintenance and security safety for WCH Uganda staff and activities.
Objective of the job
- To ensure safety during driving by following Ugandan traffic laws and WCH internal guideline.
- To properly and reliably ensure that the vehicle is serviced and maintained to the required standard.
- Ensure proper and timely recording of vehicle mileage and accurate filling of vehicle records.
- To perform basic logistics and administrative tasks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive vehicles carefully, safety and within the required speed limit in accordance to the Uganda traffic Laws and WCH regulations.
- Safely transport War Child personnel, guests and goods while providing convenient breaks and treating passengers with courtesy, respect and friendliness.
- Ensure proper travel and route planning is made to accomplish tasks in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Engage in proactive suggestions about vehicle use and safety while observing the policy of having the vehicle parked in an authorized place before 6pm.
- Ensure all vehicle movements do not start before 6:30am unless authorized by line manager or CD.
- Run office errands (payment of bills, shopping, dropping and picking letters/parcels etc.) as directed by the line manager and Senior officer staff;
- Keep the vehicle in good mechanical condition, carry out daily checks and immediately report faults, scratches, accidents, etc to the line manager
- Carry out daily checks and minor repairs including check/topup of engine oil, window wiper, radiator, air pressure of tires, brake fluid, fastening of battery terminal, oil leakage under car.
- Ensure the vehicle is clean both inside and outside always.
- Notify the Line manager (preferably one week in advance) of any repair or regular maintenance required to the vehicle;
- Ensure vehicle inspection during and after service is done to ascertain complete and good standard work is done. A certificate of repairs MUST be signed off.
- Ensures that WCH vehicles have proper documentation such as insurance, logbook, consent forms, etc.
- Monitor the use of vehicles and fuel consumption through analysis of log books monthly.
- Ensure that your car always has sufficient fuel at all times.
- Ensure fuel topup at full tank every last day of the month for proper fuel tracking purposes.
- Fill in the logbook accurately before and after every trip.
- Keep proper records of transport of goods using way-bills and other forms according to WCH procedures.
- Fully obey the driving laws of the country. This includes the use of seatbelts, speed limits and absence of using alcohol and/or other drugs and phone while driving.
- Ensure all passengers use their seatbelt while in the car; Do not drive a vehicle without functioning seatbelts, valid insurances and driving permit.
- To maintain the vehicle medical box, fire extinguisher and tool kit at all times whilst in charge of vehicle.
- Ensure all none WCH staff using the vehicle have signed a wavier form that is kept in the vehicle at all times.
- Ensure no third party drives WCH car unless with permission from line manager/CD.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the War Child Holland (WCH) Driver job opportunity must attended driving school with Secondary level (O level) education.
- MUST have a valid driving license expiring not less than 6 months from application time.
- MUST have a DL driving class plus B,CM.
- Over 3 years of driving experience with an INGO working with Children is preferred
- Good knowledge of Ugandan Traffic Laws and Regulations.
- Good understanding of field routes (West Nile/South West) is desired
- Proper attitude and focused
- Good verbal expressions skills
- Fluency in English language
- Accurate, consistent and transparent
- Ability to work independent
- In-depth knowledge of checking vehicle for problems and performing preemptive maintenance
- Thorough understanding of motor vehicle engine functionality
- Able to demonstrate a high level of courtesy and professionalism to passengers and coworkers
- Ability to provide a secure environment for passengers and employer while in transit.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should apply online at the link below
- Application should not exceed 3 pages.
- Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland in Uganda, including adherence to the Child Safeguarding Policy, is essential”