Driver US NGO Job Opportunities – Mercy Corps
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Logistics Officer
Mercy Corps has been present in Uganda since 2006, focusing its interventions on economic and agricultural development, maternal child health and nutrition, governance, conflict management and humanitarian response. In 2017, Mercy Corps had an impact on almost 1 million beneficiaries in Uganda through our work focusing on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors.
Job Summary: The driver will provide safe, transport services for MC program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor;
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations;
- Check the vehicle conditions before and after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to the transport management;
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and warehouse daily workloads;
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Uganda Certificate of Education qualification
- Valid drivers’ license with class DL,
- At least four years’ experience driving 4WD vehicles
- Certificate in defensive driving is essential
- Knowledge of driving in less secure and harsh environment
- Must know and obey to all safety and traffic rules of the Uganda.
- Good understanding of English and fluency in Karimojong is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- Must know Mercy Corps vehicle policies and regulations
- Must know what preventative maintenance is required for their vehicle.
- Understanding and following safety procedures;
- Must know the actions to be taken in the event of an accident.
- Must be able to change a wheel and do minor repairs and vehicle servicing.
- Must know how to use all accessories such as HF / VHF radios, winches etc
- Very positive attitude,
- Cooperative, willingness to work long & extra hours, initiative and flexibility
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below
Deadline: 31st July 2020