Earn about 140m as USAID Financial Management Assistant at United States Embassy / US Mission
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: USD $37,680
Open to: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
Position Number: Kampala-2020-061-RA3
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The USEFM USAID Financial Management Assistant has overall responsibility for the close-out of USAID/Uganda’s program-funded expired awards, reconciles implementing partners’ records to USAID’s accounting system records, and coordinates with Agreement/Contracting Officer’s Representatives (AOR/CORs), Office of Acquisition and Assistance and USAID/Washington’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to complete all close-out actions. He/she reviews Limited Scope Agreements (LSGA), Development Objective Agreements (DOAGs), Modified Acquisition and Assistance Request Documents (MAARDs), contract, grants, awards and other obligating documents for accuracy and records accounting strip codes on them into the Phoenix accounting system. In addition, he/she provides technical guidance and/or training to host country and Implementing Partners’ staff on USAID accounting and financial reporting requirements to ensure compliance with USAID financial management policies and procedures. The financial management assistant reports to the Chief Accountant in the Office of Financial Management (OFM).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy USEFM USAID Financial Management Assistant job opportunity should hold a university degree in accounting, finance, or business administration. A professional certification, (e.g. CPA or ACCA) is desired but not required.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, budgeting, financial analysis or auditing
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of professional accounting principles, theories, practices and a thorough knowledge of laws, regulations, and procedures governing USAID financial management is required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of USAID’s organization and operational standards and be familiar with USAID project policies and processes.
- The incumbent should have a knowledge and understanding of the different branches of the GOU in order to enhance effective communication and to develop consensus on financial management of programs/projects.
- The incumbent must be able to analyze accounting processes and identify practices and procedures that require correction or modification.
- The incumbent must be able to efficiently formulate recommendations for maintaining specialized segments of accounting systems.
- The incumbent must have excellent verbal communication skills, tact and diplomacy in order to establish and develop sustainable working relations and a high level of trust with mid-level GOU officials when dealing with Value added Tax.
- Excellent mathematical and writing skills are required in order to prepare regular and often ad hoc reports including data calls from USAID/Washington.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and to achieve consensus of fiscal policy and accounting practices is necessary.
- The work requires extremely good understanding of excel and other computer skills in order to manage the accounting system.
- Language:Level IV (fluent) English language proficiency, speaking and writing is required. This may be tested.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 30th September 2020