East African Community (EAC) Job Opportunities – Procurement Officer
Organisation: East African Community (EAC)
Reports to: Senior Administration Officer
Duty Station: East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC), Bujumbura, Burundi
NB: Open to Ugandan Nationals
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments. This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position.
Job Summary: The Procurement Officer develops and Implements procurement policies and processes for the EAC. S/He initiates preparation of Annual Procurement Plan, receiving and reviewing requisitions for clarity, adequate specifications and to ensure that bidders are able to respond to the quotation appropriately, receiving and processing purchase requisitions from users, originating tender documents, consolidating and preparing recommendations for tender awards, expediting deliveries and updating and maintaining procurement transactions records.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Procurement Officer will deliver the following duties and responsibilities in a manner that is consistent and cognizant of the EAHRC philosophy:
- Review procurement policies and past performance of the Community arid make recommendations on the basis of a logical forecast
- Initiate preparation of Annual Procurement Plan.
- Plan for all the supplies needs of the Community and formulate supplies policies and guidelines for the Community.
- Receive, review and process Purchase requisitions from User Departments.
- Maintain the Supplies Manual for the supplies staff of the Community
- Prepare minutes and reports of Tender board meetings.
- Generate procurement reports and correspondences.
- Prepare procurement transactions and provide a liaison link between suppliers and user Departments.
- Compiling Tender documents for the Tender Board Committee and make follow up.
- Advice user departments on procurement guidelines In areas such as drawing specifications and terms of reference right.
- Consolidate and prepare recommendations for award of tenders/quotations.
- Carry out inspections to assess utilization and control of supplies.
- Prepare procurement transactions and provide a liaison link between suppliers and user departments.
- Update and Maintain Community suppliers’ databases and records. – Perform any other duties as assigned by the Management from time to time
Qualifications and Experience:
- The applicant for the East African Community (EAC) Procurement Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Procurement and Supplies Management or equivalent.
- Diploma in Procurement, Purchasing and Supplies or equivalent
- At least five years of relevant practical experience in the field of Procurement for Goods and Services
- Proficiency in standard computer applications such as Microsoft Office and specialized applications like SUN system, SAP, or Oracles.
- Good Customer Relations, Negotiation skills, effective Communication and Report writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English and Kiswahili.
Eligibility for applications: Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
Equal Opportunity: The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Deadline: Friday, 21st August 2020.