East African Community (EAC) Job Vacancies – Legal Officer
Organisation: East African Community (EAC)
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Duty Station: Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC), Kisumu, Kenya
NB: Open to Ugandan Nationals
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments. This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will provide legal advice to the Lake Victoria Basin Commission as well as rendering other legal services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate research and articulate regional best practices in harmonization of national laws;
- Draft, review and guide negotiations on Tripartite Protocols, Agreements, MOUs, Funding and Grant Agreements, Contracts and other legal documents ensuring their consistency with the mandate of the Commission and international law;
- Provide Partner States, upon request with all necessary legal support with regard to the implementation of the EAC Treaty, the Protocol establishing the LVBC and the Lake Victoria commission Act;
- Provide legal advice to the Commission in its relations with third parties and employees on matters concerning administration and employment;
- Represent the Commission in legal disputes;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by management.
Qualifications and Experience:
- The applicant for the East African Community (EAC) Legal Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from reputable University;
- Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice or/and Certification of enrollment on the Bar in a Partner State;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at National and/or International level.
- Excellent legal drafting skills;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Proficiency in use of computers and report writing skills.
Eligibility for applications: Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
Equal Opportunity: The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Deadline: Friday, 21st August 2020.