ECW Programme Officer UK NGO Jobs – Teach A Man To Fish
Organization: Teach A Man To Fish UK
Duty Station: Yumbe, with frequent travel to Bidi-Bidi, Rhino Camp, Palabek and Kyangwali camps (40% travel), Uganda
Reports to: ECW Programme Manager
Salary and benefits: UGX 2,620,000 gross salary per month, medical health insurance for staff + 1 dependant
About Teach A Man To Fish:
Teach A Man To Fish is guided by a simple, all-encompassing mission: to empower young people with the skills they need to succeed, in school, work, and life. We focus on developing and emerging countries. This is done through supporting schools to set up educational and profitable school businesses that provide real-life hands-on training and experience for students. This empowers student entrepreneurs with critical workplace, entrepreneurship and life skills and mindsets so that they can leave school with the competencies to get a good job or run their own successful business.
We are a small organization with big reach – Since 2006, we’ve created over 300,000 student entrepreneurs and 18,000 enterprising teachers through our global programmes.
In 2020, Teach A Man To Fish joined the Education Cannot Wait (ECW) Consortium implementing School Enterprise Challenge for ECW schools. This project aims to introduce Teach A Man To Fish’s proven educational school-business program into 60 primary schools in four settlements (Palabek, Bidi Bidi, Kyangwali and Rhino Camp) over the project enriching both teacher and learner skills- building. The project will further introduce a learner-centred approach for building children’s entrepreneurship and life skills in school where learners plan, set up and run a real school business. The Project also aims to strengthen preparedness to transitional pathways in post-primary education opportunities through enhanced developmental assets.
In 2021, Teach A Man To Fish aims to set up an additional 30 business clubs in Rhino and Bidi Bidi settlements for 450 youth (11-18 years) who are out-of-school in 2021 (70% female; 30% male, 5% young people living with disabilities (PWDs), 15 total per group). Girls and young women who have dropped out of education recently, teenage mothers and child heads of households in particular will be targeted.
Job Summary: The overall objective of this position is to provide field based technical leadership, management and oversight for the Education Can’t Wait project activities including the School Enterprise Challenge Awards program in Year 3 schools and the out of school youth livelihood component. The ECW Program Officer leads a diverse team of Field Officers and Monitors and builds their capacity to ensure quality delivery of the ECW project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively execute the ECW project field activities according to the agreed project plan, budget and log frame whilst ensuring that regular quality assurance is conducted at the selected beneficiary schools
- Coordinate with field team to ensure all trackers completed accurately and according to the agreed schedule. Review for quality and flag trackers regularly to the ECW Program Manager.
- Manage, coach and empower 3 Field Officers and 3 Monitors based in the target refugee settlements.
- Capacity build team and manage their performance.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization, implementation partners and/stakeholders and relevant working groups on the progress of the ECW project
- Review the quality of the work completed with the ECW Field Officers and Monitors on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the agreed standards.
- Support the MEAL Manager to plan, ensure project learnings documented and disseminated, ensure that project design improved in relation to learnings.
- Child Protection and Safeguarding field Lead for the project, liaise with country safeguarding focal point and ECW safeguarding focal point, ensure highest levels of safeguarding and Child protection at schools, partners and within our team, report any issues as per TAMTF guidelines
- Regular travel to the field for monitoring and quality assurance of the ECW project
- Lead team to deliver all project activities, including sensitizations, training, monitoring, awards events.
- Input to narrative and financial reporting
Finance & Administration: 10%
- Support PM to manage budget and deliver activities within budget limits
- Ensure weekly financial requests and reconciliations from field staff submitted on time with 100% accuracy
Monitoring and Evaluation: 10%
- Support M&E Manager to deliver baseline and summative evaluations on time, to budget and to quality standard
- Build capacity of field officers to deliver monitoring and evaluation activities
- Coordinate delivery of inspirational stories on time and to quality standard
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Teach A Man To Fish UK ECW Programme Officer job placement must hold a Bachelors in Education, Development Studies, Community Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Business or related field.
- Experience of education or child protection programs in a humanitarian context.
- Conversant with both refugee settlement structures and hosting district local government systems and other implementing agencies.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in either an NGO, social enterprise or corporate setting, with progressive levels of management responsibility.
- Line management experience of 2+ reports
- Highly motivated, organised and able to manage competing priorities on a tight timeline
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Sound financial management and budgeting skills
- Experience of narrative and financial reporting
- No criminal record (to be evidenced by a letter of good conduct from Interpol)
- Previous experience of gender mainstreaming gender equality and inclusion in development programming
- Previous experience of running or implementing out of school youth livelihood projects.
- Fluency in a local language commonly used in target settlements like Arabic, Kakwa, Aringa, Lugbara, Swahili, Luo or Runyakitara.
- Certificate in programme management, monitoring and evaluation or similar
NB: This position is contingent upon confirmation of ECW funding for year 3 (2021). We anticipate a large number of applications and as such only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a maximum of 4 paged CV and one-page cover letter (combined into a single PDF document). Please be sure to clearly show in your cover letter why you are interested in this job and what makes you the most suitable candidate. Please also include your salary history. Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application: ECW Programme Officer” in the title of the email
Deadline: Wednesday 30th December 2020
NB: Do not attach academic documents at this point. Qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE