Education Assistant Non-profit Careers – Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Title: Education Assistant
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Project Officer Education
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Job Summary: The Education Assistant will be responsible for the day to day running of the centers. The incumbent will closely work with the teachers, learners and the community members. He/ she will be required to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Work with the community education committees in the planning and enrollment of the activities
- Distribute and monitor the use of school materials according to procedures
- Administrate teachers’ and school children’s payments and entitlements
- Assist the teachers in their work
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Report all protection related concerns
- Carry out data collection as required
- Prepare field reports
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Responsible for community mobilization/sensitization on ALP/VST and other related activities.
- Provide on-site support supervision and feedback to ALP/VST teachers and Head teachers and Instructors.
- Ensure community participation, contribution and ownership in the ALP/VST program.
- Carry home visits to ALP/VST learners/students and take part in discussing issues that affect the child as a mentoring process.
- Liaise with community leaders to ensure that out of school children benefit from ALP activities.
- Identify community concerns that hinder the enrolment of children in ALP, retention and completion and recommend measures to address them.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports on activities within each ALP school with relevant data
- Inspect and supervise regularly all the ALP/VSTcenters/schools.
- Ensure a constructive co-operation with local authorities and host schools in implementing ALP activities.
- Assist in identification and registration of ALP/VST learners (database)
- Assist in updating ALP/VST learners’ and teachers’ data base.
- Participate in relevant meetings including coordination meetings with other education partners at field level
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Education Assistant job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in education
- Registered with Ministry of Education and Sports and in possession of registration certificate
- Teaching experience of five years and above.
- Experience from working with education projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Ability to speak any local language commonly spoken by the beneficiaries
- Knowledge of the local context and education systems in Uganda
- Ability to work harmoniously with the refugees and host communities.
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandan candidates who wish to join one of the world’s leading relief organisations, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) should apply by visiting the web link below.
Deadline: 14th January 2019
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020