Entry Level Admin Jobs – General Support Officer – CARE International
Organization: CARE International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. We put women and girls in the centre because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda for 50 years and in 2019/2020, we improved the lives of 2.6 million people (60% women). Our goal for the next five years is to reach ten million people, through our gender transformative, resilience building, and lifesaving programs.
As part of the on-going reorganisation at CARE Uganda, the organisation has undertaken a review of its program-support function and is seeking to recruit highly competent professionals with a passion to support the most vulnerable women and girls. If you are Ugandan, and you believe in gender empowerment, as well as integrity, innovation and excellence at work, please consider joining a winning team in any of the jobs below.
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of General Support Officer is to efficiently and effectively support the CARE Uganda Country office administration function through cordial, timely, effective internal and external communication (including front office management) and work as an Executive Assistant (MA) to Senior Management.
The holder will also be expected to use initiative in problem solving and help out inhuman resources and project activities when requested to do so.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
General Administrative Support
- Administrative support to the CD and SMT
- Work very closely with the CD to ease the administrative workload
- Gather, analyse and report relevant data and provide input for CD & SMT action
- Receive and answer phone calls and emails, and draft correspondences,
- Create requisitions and setup vendors in PeopleSoft as and when required.
- Photocopying, scanning and binding documents when required.
- Initiate and follow-up on repairs needed with external service providers to ensure work is done and there is value for money
- Prepare PeopleSoft goods received notes for goods and services ensuring that they are
- delivered according to specifications (correct recipient, location, time, appropriate packaging etc.
- Reconciling purchase orders with goods received; quickly addressing any problems or concerns and referring them to appropriate staff.
- Ensure transit stores are well managed and items handed to users in a timely manner.
- Monitor kitchen consumables and Stationery levels on a monthly basis, and request replenishments based on recorded usage.
Meetings and Events Management
- Organize and co-ordinate meetings (e.g. workshops, events) for CO team, take care of housekeeping affairs, take and distribute minutes on time.
- Organise and manage appointments of the CD and liaise with Operations/Programs to facilitate planning and implementation of activities.
- Assist in the coordination and compilation of monthly and quarterly staff and team planning and provide the link between the various CO departments as needed.
- Maintenance of the Country Director’s diary and engagements.
Communications and Office Management
- Ensure timely communication of key internal and external communication in liaison with SMT and Communications Officer.
- Ensure usage of up to date communication templates in liaison with Communications Officer.
- Receive and dispatch incoming calls/e-mails and make outgoing calls/mails and give answers to basic questions, based on the communication guidelines, CARE house style and agreements in place.
- Support content development for external communications.
- Make travel arrangement for CO Team members
- Front office management, attending to visitors and overseeing CO opening/closure
- Support the CO vehicle fleet allocation
- Provide basic ICT support
- Arrange the CO procurements and receive delivered good, based on the authorization, guidelines and with the approval of the Operations Coordinator
- Supervise general CARE Uganda Headquarter Office set up in areas of cleanliness, safe access by staff and visitors; organize provisions for meetings held at Headquarter Office and general kitchen operations.
- On request create,requisitions in people soft as and when required and prepare goods receipt notes and enter vendors as per PeopleSoft procurement requirements.
- Develop and regularly maintain an updated Country office contact list to include telephone numbers, email and places of residence. Maintain updated mobile internet and CUG schedules ensuring timely renewal and payment of bills.
- Regularly update the Communications tree as well as the contact list on the online Bulk sms platform
- Supervise replenishment and usage of Admin& HR Unit stationery, routine kitchen operation and other materials for the Country Office
- Maintain an attendance register for the head office,
- Support the various recruitment processes like downloading CV & long listing, administering written interviews, inviting candidates and sending out regret emails
- Ensure staff have entered monthly CO PAR bookings with in the specified time
- Manage the rest/ safe area for lactating, pregnant mothers and any staff that might need to utilise rest in case there is no lactating mother
- Support the HR officer in orientation processes of new staff and deployment
- Work with the HR Officer to organise events and staff end year meeting and seminars
Promote Gender Equity and Diversity and Safeguarding practices
- Practice a behaviour that is consistent with CARE’s core values, and promotion of gender equity and diversity goals;
- Plays a champion/change agent role in identifying and implementing initiatives that enhance CARE’s commitment to gender and diversity.
- Be a champion /change agent and ensure CARE Safeguarding policies and procedures are adhered to by our partners and the staff that S/he works with both directly or indirectly
- Where possible make appropriate recommendations to CO management on enhancing prevention strategies. This could include collecting and analysing information on actual/potential risk factors for vulnerability to sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse and elaborating measures to address them
Perform Other Duties as Assigned (including) Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a university degree in Business Administration, Communications, Public Relations, Human resource, or in any other relevant field from a recognized university;
- Ideal candidate should be able to resolve problematic situations efficiently and have excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills with strong knowledge of computer technology and general office equipment. He /She should have a very high degree of confidentiality, an essential requirement for the Executive Assistant role.
- At least three years of experience in a similarly related position
- Experience working in international NGO is desired;
- Experience and exposure working in a fast moving and dynamic environment will be an added advantage
- A qualification in secretarial studies will be an added advantage
- Experience working with both Programs and program support teams
- Knowledge of Logistics and Administration management
- Proven ability to achieve and maintain a compliant organizational culture by partnering to provide practical standards of compliance that can be implemented and adhered to;
- An approach to mirror our core values: commitment, accountability, respect, effectiveness and diversity;
- Ability to work and communicate with a range of stakeholders
- Operational experience including planning, development and implementation of operational activities;
- Proficient in Computer with knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite, Internet usage;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a fluent writing style and good knowledge and Practical use of English; high quality document and report preparation; excellent presentation skills.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, sensitivity to HIV/AIDS, conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and perform in a complex environment
- Ability to produce high quality work and balance competing priorities within demanding timeframes
- Excellent planning, organizational, analytical and decision making skills;
- A high learning Agility and culturally sensitive
- Great people skills and high level of interpersonal skills with an open attitude to work
- Strong business, including strong problem solving skills, critical thinking, and self-initiative
- High level of integrity at work and strong people management skills
- Organised person with a client-orientation, dynamic public relations and discretion
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision from the supervisor
How to Apply:
All Candidates who are interested should submit an updated CV and Application letter giving a day time telephone contact and names, telephone contacts and email addresses of 3 (three) work related referees only through our recruitment email:(firstname.lastname@example.org)clearly indicating the job title in the email subject.
Care Is An Equal Opportunities, Gender Sensitive, Corruption, Sexual Exploitation And Abuse Intolerant Employer. Please Note that CARE International in Uganda does not ask any applicant payment for any recruitment process
Deadline: 17th July 2020