Entry Level Finance Assistant Partner Accountability NGO Careers – Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Job Title: Finance Assistant Partner Accountability
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Finance Officer
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant Partner Accountability will facilitate the efficient and effective financial operation of DRC operational office. She/he will ensure compliance with all DRC Operations Handbook Manual (OHB) alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules. She/he will seek and receive policy guidance/ instructions and support from Project Manager, Financial Officer on their respective areas of responsibilities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain financial files (physical and soft copies) and records according to DRC Operations handbook.
- Assist with preparation of the budget.
- Implement financial policies and procedures.
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls, safe custody of safe keys.
- Ensure weekly cash counts and reconciliations by DRC Operational office are conducted every Friday of the week, reviewed by the Project Manager and filled in Kampala for review by Finance Manager the following Monday.
- Ensure month end cash counts are properly conducted and submitted to DRC Country office in Kampala by 1st of every month.
- Confirm that full accountabilities (documentations) are obtained for all expenditures and validity of claims all financial claims.
- Ensure weekly cashbooks’ preparation with complete documentations for all the projects for review by Project/Finance manager every Friday of the week.
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the cash books on a daily basis.
- Maintain and reconcile daily, weekly and monthly cash books and budget follow ups.
- Prepare and reconcile bank statements.
- Ensure that monthly cash books are submitted to Finance Manager 5th of every month.
- Process approved payments of supplier / service provider invoices on the basis of complete documentation.
- Prepare schedules for all taxes withheld or paid on a monthly basis where relevant and submit to Finance Manager for verification before submission to the relevant authorities.
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports preparation.
- Supporting Finance and Project Managers to adequately prepare for both internal and independent audits.
- Ensure copies of project files and related documents are submitted to DRC Country office, Kampala for back up storage in both hard and soft copies.
- Keep copies of all documents submitted to DRC Country office in Kampala in file for reference.
- Ensure scanning of vouchers and supporting documents is done and sees that proper filing is done in accordance with donor requirements and / or DRC OHB manual.
- Inform the Finance Officer/Area Manager on all financial issues which can affect the execution of the DRC Programs.
- Ensure the safeguarding of all available funds.
- Prepare Payment Vouchers and review Order Requests in accordance with the approved authority Matrix and running budgets.
- Reconcile the accounts payables.
- Accurately prepare the necessary documents, compile source documents and daily postings of all the paid transactions in the cash books.
- Reconcile the accounts receivables/advances and Issue receipts for all the Funds received.
- Track VAT on all Payments for Suppliers and share with Finance Officer for review before submission to Country Office.
- Uphold DRC’s International Code of Conduct.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council Finance Assistant Partner Accountability job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting and final or Part certification in CPA or ACCA
- Two years of work experience in finance or accounting in INGOs.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports.
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Proven management skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large and varied workloads, and can manage stress constructively.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Pro-active, stable and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels
How to Apply:
Applications should be in English and include the following:
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
Please send your Cover letter, CV and Academic certificates by email to email@example.com. Please clearly indicating position name in the subject line.
Deadline: 18th July 2018 by 5:00 pm