Entry Level Laboratory Technologist Job Placements – Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Laboratory Technologist
Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit biomedical research Organization, whose mission is to mitigate disease threats through quality research, health care and disease surveillance. MUWRP was established in 2002 by a Memorandum of Agreement between The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, lnc. (HJF) and Makerere University (Mak) to undertake medical research to test HIV vaccines. Over the years, MUWRP’s portfolio has progressively expanded to include vaccine research for Ebola and Marburg viruses, surveillance of influenza and influenza- like viruses and other emerging infections in humans and animals; also epidemiological, basic and implementation research in HIV treatment, care and prevention programs in the Districts of Kayunga, Mukono, Buvuma and Buikwe.
Job Summary: The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for MUWRP. This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities as well as other project activities that pertain to the laboratory and its scientific development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning, including registration of specimens into the Laboratory information Management system (LIMS), preparation of samples for both testing and storage and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight.
- Proficiently perform sample processing and testing using various testing algorithms at EIDL as established by the SOPs for each assay.
- Proficiently perform QA/QC procedures, maintain and enforce all SOPs as well as equipment maintenance and troubleshooting as may be required.
- Have knowledge of basic laboratory safety rules and equipment including identification of precautions for and emergency response to biological, chemical, electrical, mechanical and physical hazards.
- Work independently and/or with others, collect and transport samples from various surveillance sites using proper sample handling protocol as may be required. Samples collection may involve going on water, climbing rocky areas, lifting, visiting marshy areas. Markets, farms and other hazardous sites.
- Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
- Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field.
- At least two years’ experience in clinical or research Laboratory, implementing quality management systems.
- Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate.
- The ability to work and live in Mukono.
- The position holder will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below and Choosing the desired position.
Deadline: 27th March 2020