Entry Level Project Officer – Data Analyst US NGO Jobs – Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Organization: Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Program Manager MEAL
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations; serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability. CRS Uganda employs around 190 staff and has its main office in Kampala, with sub-offices in Moroto, Yumbe, and Hoima
The Vines Project, implemented by CRS Uganda, is a five-year, $13 million Food for Progress project that will make Uganda the world’s next leading supplier of high-quality vanilla. Vines will leverage the expertise of CRS and its partners to enhance the production of safe, pure vanilla and develop sustainable market links with US vanilla companies, directly transforming the lives of 16,200 farmers, 836 supply chain actors and create 15,820 new jobs to reach 32,856 vanilla stakeholders. The Vines strategy reflects best practices in sustainable development and will leave Uganda with a robust vanilla farming community resilient to the boom/bust nature of the market and a cadre of private sector agricultural extensionists to support more sophisticated production, processing, and marketing needs.
Job Summary: CRS uses ICT tools and associated skills to support agriculture programs, including digital monitoring and evaluation and analysis of resulting data. As a key driver of this core competency, the Data Analyst provides internal data and geospatial analysis services dedicated to building the capacity and supporting the successful and appropriate implementation of data and geospatial solutions for the Vines project. Additionally, the analyst is a key member of Vines project team and is active in promoting the smart and effective use of data and geospatial analysis to support the project. The data and geospatial analyst will develop map products, reports and/or dashboard applying data and spatial analysis techniques. These products serve as valuable tools to improve the efficacy, adaptation and innovation of the Vines Project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate data that will be collected via mobile devices and identify the best approach to visualize it using ArcGIS suite of tools and/or PowerBI.
- Prepare high quality map products, using professional cartographic practices.
- Use story map, or PowerBI templates and other available publication options to make interactive dashboards accessible online.
- Create ArcGIS maps from data collected via mobile devices in the field.
- Create documentation for all work products; document case study results and prepare corresponding presentation materials.
- Support the development of data collection methodologies, processing and information management for the different project activities using ICT4D solutions;
- Provide ready access to data for real-time monitoring through data reports interfaced with dynamic graphics using cloud-based reporting tools and dynamic dashboards, to enable decision makers to produce evidence-based reports;
- Build project-based staff capacity on data management and sharing protocols to ensure data privacy and data security standards are followed when collecting and disseminating information;
- Provide technical and troubleshooting support to project-based staff using project promoted ICT4D solutions and project database;
- Document the best practices, lessons learned and innovations on the use of ICT4D solutions (mapping and data visualization) for project learning and knowledge management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Project Officer – Data Analyst job placement must hold Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in ICT, Information Management or related area;
- One to two years of experience in data analysis, geospatial mapping, working with humanitarian and development assistance, preferably with an international NGO;
- Experience in database management using Microsoft Access, SQL Server and Excel required;
- Experience working with data visualization tools such as Excel, PowerBi, Zoho, tableau or any other related tools
- Knowledge of Data collection tools: i.e. Commcare, DHIS2
- Able to work under pressure and to manage competing priorities;
- Have the capacity to establish priorities with the aim of meeting expectations with integrity;
- Demonstrated proactive nature in resolving problems;
- Flexibility to work both in a team and independently;
- Cultural sensitivity, patience and flexibility;
- Demonstrated personal accountability and driven to serve others;
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working in a variety of developing environments required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) required;
- Excellent, proactive communications and coordination skills essential;
- Required/Desired Foreign Language: English fluency, including excellent oral and written skills, required
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff): These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered.
How to Apply:
All candidates should Email a cover letter and CV only to firstname.lastname@example.org
Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – PROJECTOFFICERDATAANALYST only
All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read.
Deadline: 23rd September, 2020