EU Jobs – Programme Assistant – The European Union’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO)
Organisation: The European Union’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO), formerly known as the European Community Humanitarian Aid Office, is the European Commission’s department for overseas humanitarian aid and for civil protection. The European Union has been the second largest donor of humanitarian assistance since 2000. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/ Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Humanitarian Aid is channeled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
Job Summary: The Programme Assistant will actively contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response. The job holder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects, as well as to the analysis of the humanitarian context in the area of coverage.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Programme Assistant (Group II) will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Actively contributes to the appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of projects, including financial assessment of proposals;
- Critically studies and comments upon partners’ reports and field operations and reports to line manager
- Assists the Head of Office/TA in the preparation of fiche-ops, as appropriate;
- Assists with, participate in, and report on meetings, as appropriate;
- Advises on the operational capacity of implementing partners;
- Draft reports on the humanitarian situation, including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
- Produces and circulates information of common interest (humanitarian situation reports, background information, etc);
- Accompanies the TA on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary.
- Assists the HoO/TA in the event of an emergency response;
- Prepares maps, when appropriate;
- Provides back-stopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
- Pro-actively follows local or regional events that may impact on the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
- Appraises, monitors and evaluates projects and reports to the line manager.
Working with partners
- Maintains contacts with ECHO’s partners, advising the TA of any major issues arising;
- Ensures communications with ECHO’s partners, including establishing and maintaining a database of relevant organisations and personnel;
- Maintains contracts/grants database;
- Participates in meetings, as requested and appropriate;
- Liaises with local authorities and institutions, as delegated and appropriate;
- Assist with enhancing the visibility and communication of ECHO’s overall assistance.
Other specific responsibilities/tasks:
- Provides reports and other ad-hoc documents as requested and to be verified and agreed by the HoO/TA;
- Respond to requests for information as delegated
- Prepares missions: agenda setting, contacts with partners, programming visits, meetings, etc;
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the TA, Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) Programme Assistant job must hold a relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Five years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations., including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO’s, donor or national/international organisation;
- Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
- Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
- Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards ;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Languages: An excellent knowledge of English (verbal & writing). An excellent knowledge of Luganda (verbal).
- Drive for Results – High level
- Conduct in Service – High level
- Working with others – High level
- Decision-making – Medium level
- Managing & Organising information – Medium level
- Strategic thinking and planning – Medium level
- Communication – Medium level
- Organisational Awareness – Medium level
- Adaptability & Flexibility – Medium level
- Leadership – Medium level
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to Apply Online at the web link below.
Deadline: 2nd February 2019
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE