Finance and Accounting Manager Job Careers – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Being responsible for quality and timely accounting for the whole mission e.g. cash procedures, bank accounts, receipts and supporting documents, electronic data entry, consolidation of overall mission accounting, monthly closing process and documents, ensuring strict respect of deadlines and strict compliance to MSF guidelines, financial standards and procedures.
- Coordinating and overseeing the monthly and yearly closing of accounts and balance sheets, and reporting the mission’s accounting statement through monthly and weekly reports, in order to verify the evolution of project finances and provide information about them.
- Coordinating and supervising the conduct of local audits relating to accounting, tax, abour, stock and asset management.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/ induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and to improve people’s capabilities.
- Being the technical reference for any accounting-related issue including compliance with MSF financial standards and procedures, legal compliance, training and support on the MSF accounting software / system.
- When required, briefing all staff involved, on specific accountancy management (Mission Coordination Team, Administration Managers, Logistics Managers, etc).
- Performing relevant technical training for finance staff in capital or on the field (in particular assistants, officers and cashiers) for skills improvement in the area of Accounting.
- Performing regular performance evaluation of staff under direct supervision; identify relevant training needs & opportunities (together with Resources Manager).
- Performing required controls for quarterly “finance fundamentals”, ensure compliance by all relevant finance staff in capital + fields, and work continuously for improvement throughout the mission.
- Ensuring correct calculation of all relevant taxes according to local legal obligations (social contributions, employer charges, taxes on services, VAT, import duties, licenses, etc, ensure timely payment, and proper filing of all tax-related documents (including exemptions / periodic declarations / support documents / proofs of payments).
- Ensuring compliance with cash control procedures for each cash Register.
Monitoring cash balance levels in capital, anticipate short-term needs and request relevant cash transfers or withdrawals to the Finance Coordinator (or HOM by default) to avoid any shortage.
- Being responsible for the monthly rebilling of other missions and other sections
- Being the direct interlocutor of referent Accountant at HQ, for any question related to accounting quality
- Being in charge of the follow up on all the processes on the VAT refund by the URA
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/ Postgraduate Diploma in Finance Management. Essential – Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet) Essential – Experience in navigating accounting Systems
- ACCA or CPA certificate is an added advantage
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration is an added advantage
- At least four years of experience in a similar position
- Previous experience with MSF or another NGO is an added advantage
- Previous experience as a volunteer is added an added advantage
- Experience managing diverse teams is essential.
- Analytical and conceptual thinking, Managing stress, Effective Communication, Teamwork, Ability to lead and manage personnel, proactive approach to work and problem solving, Planning, Setting standards, Performance monitoring and Tracking, Strategic thinking, Leadership, Judgement and knowledge Commitment, Flexibility, Stress Management, Results.
- English (reading, written and spoken)
- French (reading, written and spoken is essential.
- Swahili and Luganda is an advantage
How to Apply:
All interested candidates are invited to submit their application letter and a detailed CV merged together in a SINGLE PDF or WORD document to the HR department via email to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the above criteria will be contacted. No monetary, goods or service offers, nor favouritism, will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse any candidate having benefited from such acts. Any illicit solicitations can be reported to the Justice System.
Deadline: 25th July 2020 at 5:00 pm