Finance Assistant NGO Jobs – Water For People
Organization: Water For People
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems in the developing countries. Water for People seeks to see communities break free from the cycle of poverty and spend time growing, learning, and thriving, instead of walking for water and fighting off illness.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant provides support to the Finance and Administration Manager in maintaining an effective and efficient Finance and Administration Department that will support Water For People Uganda’s programs and activities. The Finance Assistant is fully responsible for the timely processing of day to day financial transactions and other accounting activities and participates in laying ground for formulation of required reports, plans and budgets. .
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all financial transactions conform to the agreed sound financial management system (Financial Manual) and where necessary advise the head of department to review existing policies.
- Prepare payment vouchers for approved transactions and raise checks for review by the Finance and Administration Manager and approval by the Country Director and advise the head of department on further action to complete the transactions.
- Support the total adherence to the financial system by all staff and partners. In particular, ensure proper utilization of accountability of all organizational monies that have been entrusted to all staff and other persons or organizations.
- Full participation in budgeting and projecting processes.. Participate in planning and budget consolidation by providing supporting documents and facilitating other staff.
- Support timely compilation, submission of draft accounts postings and reports any challenges to the Finance and Administration Manager to support management reports to key stakeholders in time.
- Ensure all intercompany transactions (receivables and payables) posted and properly classified and all receipt for claims from different countries filed and ready for presentation whenever requested.
- Periodically update staff of their request status, process the advance and ensure timely payment of the advance that are approved and communicate any challenges thereof.
- Update staff on the overdue amount of the advances for immediate settlement and get recommendation for any challenges to support management decision.
- Support the filing of statutory obligations such as NSSF and Taxes with the relevant authority and give feedback of any challenges thereof.
- Process payment of salary and ensure deposit of staff salary to their respective accounts, pay slips issued to staff and respond to feedback thereof.
- Post all transactions in NS a daily basis and ensure proper classification as per NS accounting system.
- Asset management – Ensuring all assets are labelled, well maintained and upto date register, deployment and disposal
- Maintain professional relationship with the bank and ensure all necessary support and feedback needed from the bank are timely communicated.
- Process all bank transactions and pay as approved to the payees and collect all supportive documents.
- Reconcile all bank and cash accounts monthly
- Help in retrieval of financial documents for presentation to both internal and external auditors and answer audit questions, if any, on the documents.
- Help in following up of any outstanding audit questions and presentation of audit evidence for proof of transactions to the auditors.
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager to follow up on implementation of audit recommendation with responsible persons and updating action taken and any challenges thereof.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for financial information and documents and information (electronic and otherwise) that will facilitate easy, storage, retrieval and ensure the safety of the said documents
- Draft minutes of meetings for finance department for review and approval and help in follow up of resolutions of issues raised.
- Support annual verification of inventories and reconcile any discrepancies if any.
Key Result Areas:
- Effective and up-to-date filing systems for the (vouchers, receipts, invoices, checks etc.)
- Supports the Finance and Administration Manager to help staff understand financial documents e.g. financial policies, systems and procedures in the organization
- Up-to-date entry of financial transactions into NetSuite accounting system according to agreed framework.
- Staff advance followed up and overdue amount notified, reviewed and approved.
- Integrity is maintained in financial transactions and that all financial procedures are adhered to. (Writing checks, vouchers, soliciting quotes, etc.)
- Asset management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce and or Business Administration (Accounting option).
- Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant field desirable.
- Professional qualification in Accounting (ACCA, CPA) is an added advantage
- At least three years’ experience, preferably in a national or international NGO.
- Proven knowledge of financial accounting procedures, clear understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and national regulatory requirements, and experience of multi donor reporting
- Knowledge of computer application and conversant in Word processing, Spreadsheet and at least one accounting package.
- Track record of working in a team with different backgrounds and expertise.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of grant management would be a plus.
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
- Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications to; UGARecruit@waterforpeople.org
Deadline: Monday, 24th June 2019 at 5:00PM