Finance Associate Job Opportunities – GiveDirectly
Reports to: Finance Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Start date: Immediate
GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers. GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Job Summary: The regional finance team currently supports finance and accounting activities in seven (soon to be eight) countries in Africa. As a member of the regional finance team, the Uganda Finance Associate will assume both country office and cross-border finance and accounting roles, covering any resource gaps that are expected to come with the widened scope to the team.
The Finance Associate will report to the Treasury and Roving Finance Manager (Based in Kenya). The role holder is also expected to work as an internal advisor to the Uganda country management team on finance and accounting matters and be a resource person to colleagues in the finance team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and processing staff allowances
- Processing vendor payments
- Implementing asset management protocols including asset verifications and reconciliations
- Managing liquidity requirements in-country
- Documenting transactions in accordance with GD’s global bookkeeping standards in GD’s accounting software
- Preparing and presenting budget to actual reports
- Assisting on other monthly and periodic close tasks as assigned with time
Risk / Compliance
- Understanding, advising and implementing on compliance requirements from tax regulators and donors
- Assisting in managing in-country audits and special reporting to donors and regulatory bodies (immigration, NGO Board etc)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree; or professional accounting qualification (CPA or ACCA)
- Minimum of 2 years of progressive working experience in a busy accounting or finance environment.
- Proven experience working in a matrix reporting environment, or on multiple projects
- Knowledge of accounting and tax regulations
- Competence in excel and accounting software
- A team player, leader, good project manager, effective communicator with strong analytical skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.