Finance Officer Non-profit Careers – Norwegian Association of Disabled (NAD)
Organisation: Norwegian Association of Disabled (NAD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Financial Controller
The Norwegian Association of Disabled (NAD), founded in 1931, is a Disabled Persons’ Organisation (DPO) that has been operating in development work since 1981. NAD’s principal task is to fight all types of barriers that prevent women, men, girls, and boys with disabilities from being active participants as well as contributors in their communities. NAD has a long-standing partnership with the National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda (NUDIPU), its main partner in Uganda. In 2015, NAD strengthened its presence in Uganda by establishing a regional office in Kampala. NAD Kampala’s main goal is to strengthen DPOs and the DPO movement in Uganda. It also has programmes in inclusive education and economic empowerment and is focused on the strengthening of DPOs and the DPO movement in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer will be responsible for all financial reporting to NAD Oslo. He/she will be carrying out the day-to-day accounting services for NAD Kampala, preparing financial budgets and reports as per requirements, and assisting external auditors during audits. The Finance Officer will also contribute to training of local partner organisations in financial matters. The position is based at the NAD Kampala office and is full time until the end of 2022.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the NAD Country Representative and the Financial Controller at NAD Oslo, the Finance Officer will:
- Ensure that adequate financial controls and practices are in place to maintain transparent and proper accountability of all income and expenditures
- Conduct periodic financial analysis to identify and resolve issues, gaps or variances.
- Evaluate, maintain and develop systems and routines to meet donors changing requirements.
- Ensure that financial transactions are properly authorized, executed, recorded filed and have adequate supporting documentation.
- Monitor budgets and expenditures and lead the preparation of budgets/budget revisions and consolidations.
- Prepare and submit timely and reliable financial statements and reports.
- Maintains the NAD Asset Register and ensures that it is updated as and when new assets are procured
- Mentor and train staff in partner organizations in accounting and anti-corruption practices.
- Do financial reviews and internal audits for partner organisations.
- Ensures compliance with all statutory requirements like NSSF and PAYE
- Carry out other financial assignments as requested.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have completed Higher education in economics, accounting or another relevant field.
- Additional qualification from a professional accountancy body such as ACCA or CPA is essential
- At least five years’ experience in financial management in a non-governmental organization.
- Demonstrated experience in grants management and financial systems and procedure.
- Experience in a digital environment and good knowledge of Excel and the use of accounting packages (i.e. Visma).
- Excellent analytical skills – the ability to analyze financial data and design and produce effective management information.
- Ability to prioritize, delegate and meet agreed deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, ability to closely cooperate with others and build partnerships.
- Willingness to travel as needed for project and partner follow-up.
- Persons with lived experience of disability are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
All candidates should Email their updated CVs and cover letters in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please do not exceed 6 pages in total Please use the subject line “NAD Financial Officer”. Applications can be addressed to the Head of International Department. Successful applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 20th September 2020