Finance Officer USAID Project Job Vacancies – Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF)
Organization: Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF) is an independent Institution, ‘a Trust Fund’ established as a mechanism to provide sustainable financing for the conservation of priority biodiversity and ecosystem services in Uganda. The mission of UBF is: “to serve as a catalyst for mobilizing, managing and channeling financial resources for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of natural resources in Uganda for the benefit of current and future generations and the intrinsic value of nature”. UBF has been implementing programmatic and management activities and undertaking financial transactions since 2017.
About USAID Project:
UBF is currently implementing a five USAID’s Uganda Biodiversity Fund Activity whose main purpose is to further develop the Uganda Biodiversity Fund into a sustainable entity that can generate and manage financing for biodiversity conservation nation-wide. The goal of this activity is to ensure a reputable, well-functioning, sustainable UBF that is responsive to Uganda’s conservation and natural resources management financing needs.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer will provide financial management support, monitoring and coordination of activities within the framework of UBF and ensure all policies and procedures, donor regulations, accounting standards and local laws are complied with.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Liquidity and Cash-Flow Management
- Consolidate annual cash flows for review by Finance Manager.
- Track and monitor funds availability in all bank accounts
- Review and approve units’ cash request
- Prepare, submit and reconcile regularly recharges update remittances.
- Prepare foreign exchange processing and related transfer instructions
- Review and carry out petty cash count
Programme plans and Budgets
- Consolidate Programme plans and budgets in line with the UBTF planning guidelines
- Prepare and complete necessary budget templates
- Review unit budgets with unit heads, consolidate and upload budgets into computerized system
- Prepare budget cash flow forecast as per approved budget
Approval of Payments
- Review cheque, bank transfer payments and journals before approval by the FAM and ED
- Review all staffs accountabilities and claims or refunds
- Vet and review invoices and other payment vouchers prior to submitting them for approval
- File and keep proper record of all prepayments, accruals and related accounts
General Ledger Controls
- Correctly and accurately enter periodic transactions in the accounting system to their respective accounting codes.
- Check transactions for correct coding and posting to ledger system
- Perform bank reconciliations for all UBTF and project accounts
- Follow-up and monitor agreed period cut-off dates and process such as depreciation, accruals, adjustments and prepayment allocations
Period Financial Reporting
- Prepare management accounts, reporting schedules and tables and forward them to the Finance Manager for review and further action
- Follow-up and monitor financial performance of the directorates through variance analysis to identify adverse trends and report to the Finance Manager.
- Produce quarterly expenditure reports for management
- Check and follow-up all monthly tax payments and other statutory deductions and ensure accurate, timely and complete remittances as required
- Reconcile and submit reconciliation statements of UBF sub-grantees and update management on the status of individual grantees’ financial position on a regular basis.
- Receive and review financial accountabilities/expenditures of sub-grantees on a regular basis.
- Regularly check accuracy of the sub-grantees financial reports and that the grantees financial performance is in adherence to UBF’s policy and procedures and donor guidelines.
- Generate monthly reports on grantee accountability status
Asset Register Maintenance
- Update Fixed Assets Register in system, ensuring appropriate accounting for fixed
- assets including proper treatment of depreciation.
- Verify all UBTF assets are always under insurance cover and renewed whenever policies expire
- Periodically carry out any stocktaking and fixed assets verification exercise
- Prepare and attend to the needs of internal and external auditors and implement recommendations
- Give technical support and help build capacity of sub-grantees and sub-partners
- Expeditiously prepare and submit monthly tax returns and other statutory obligations
- Analyse vehicle’ fuel consumption by performing fuel analysis monthly
- Back up accounting systems data and maintain a log and submit to Finance manager
- Contribute actively to the development of mechanisms which ensure that operations of UBF are implemented in a cost effective manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Financial Management or Accounting from a recognized University
- Accounting Professional qualification e.g. CPA, ACCA.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar position.
- Experience with donor/NGO financial accounting procedures
- Proficiency with accounting software e.g. Navision, Quick Books, Sun System, Pastel, along with Microsoft Office Applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Finance management skills
- Budgeting and budgetary control
- Analytical skills
- Donor financial accounting procedures
- Knowledge of Tax laws and systems in Uganda
- Planning and organizing skills
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in English.
- Ability to establish critical working relationships
- Ability to promote and safeguard UBTF policies
- Ability to work in a multicultural diverse environment and under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to strict confidentiality involving internal/ external information.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team with minimal supervision.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications with updated CVs including three work related
referees addressed to: The Executive Director through e-mail address
Please indicate the title of the Job you are applying for in the Subject line of the Email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. Any applications submitted after the
deadline shall not be considered.
Deadline: 31st July 2020