Fresher Driver – PlayMatters NGO Jobs – International Rescue Committee
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Project Director – PlayMatters
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: The Driver will be responsible for the safe transportation of PlayMatters regional management staff and materials; care and maintenance of PlayMatters regional vehicles and their accessories.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect and record the condition of the vehicles daily; prepare weekly maintenance checklist.
- Ensure timely servicing and maintenance of PlayMatters regional office vehicles (complete service request forms and maintain service maintenance records); report to PlayMatters Deputy Director any mechanical problems.
- Ensure vehicles are insured and all legal documents are always in order; inform PlayMatters Deputy Director three weeks in advance of any renewals due (i.e. insurance, road license, etc.).
- Conduct daily assessments of road conditions and security situation.
- Drive PlayMatters regional project staff in a safe and courteous manner to field sites across the country.
- Deliver mail/messages as directed.
- Operate HF and VHF mobile radio equipment if any.
- Maintain cleanliness of interior/exterior of PlayMatters Regional office vehicles.
- Give accurate reconciliation of expenditures within the given period.
- Adhere to IRC vehicle policy and operating procedures (use of logbook, no drinking and driving, signing out vehicle on vehicle registry and so on).
- Assist programs or PlayMatters Admin Officer in loading cargo for the field.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Driver – PlayMatters job placement must hold an Ordinary Level Certificate: A- Level Certificate is an added advantage; Valid driver’s license with classes “A, B & DL”
- Minimum of two (2) years’ driving experience preferably with NGOs.
- Able to pass the IRC driving test and demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent Microsoft word and Microsoft excel skills.
- Willingness to travel to ‘insecure areas within the constraints of IRC Uganda’s security policy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Please note: This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline: 24th September 2020