Fresher Electrical Engineer Job Opportunities – Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Namanve Thermal Power Plant, Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Electrical Engineer will ensure that the Electrical elements in the power plant run smoothly to generate power. He checks electrical machines and machine components, tests their efficiency and makes repairs wherever necessary and suggests improvement to machines for better performance. The Electrical engineer shall have a wide engineering knowledge base and keep abreast with the latest developments in the field to enable him/her to evaluate the condition of electrical machines, diagnosing problems and where possible propose improvements changes. He/she shall supervise the team of Electrical technicians, electricians and fitters based at site and allot maintenance responsibilities while making sure that all safety procedures are adhered to.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain 24/7 Plant power generation operation while focusing on safe, efficient, reliable maintenance and operation of equipment to ensure quality power supply to the Grid.
- Electronics troubleshooting with objective of preventive maintenance and Repair of AC and DC Drives, PLC Troubleshooting etc.
- Planning and execution of the preventative maintenance programs, initiation of measures to improve the reliability of the equipment.
- Develop a continuous improvement culture in the maintenance of the power plant using engineering principles.
- Keep plant/equipment performance and repair records to enable quality assessment and work with vendors to source replacement parts that perform more reliably and at the same time to substitute OEM parts with more economical options, designing and testing improved parts, updating older electronics that are no longer supported by manufacturers to improve equipment functionality.
- Under the direction of the Electrical Maintenance Manager, Identify need and make proposals for capital projects including identifying scope, cost, milestones, etc.
- Provide hands-on leadership to a team of electrical Technicians, Electricians and workers under him in all aspects of their work.
- Serves as a key resource for safety related issues with the goal of meeting/exceeding OSHA requirements for a safe workplace.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL) Electrical Engineer job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical engineering (light or heavy current), Electronic engineering, manufacturing process control or related field. Post graduate diplomas and certificates in other fields of engineering such as mechatronics, automation etc. is an added advantage.
- At least two years’ experience in a Thermal plant or related field
- Excellent knowledge regarding machines, spare parts, operations and maintenance.
- Excellent observation skills.
- Excellent analysis skills.
- A sound knowledge regarding safety measures.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work under stress and be on call at any time.
- Good leadership, communication and motivation skills.
- Ability to work in a team hands on as well as lead it.
- Must be highly organized, systematic and precise in work.
- Good computer skills in related software application.
- Age: Below 35 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Block C, Plot 6-9 Victoria Office park, Okot Close, Bukoto,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 19th March 2018