Fresher Finance & Administrative Assistant International NGO Careers – Oxfam
Duty Station: Uganda
Makerere University News Updates for 2019 - 2020
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 affiliates networked together in more than 90 countries committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. To achieve this, we support local projects in developing countries, we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people and we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We implement our programs by working with local NGO partners and civil society organizations and engaging with private sector and governments. Oxfam employs over 6,000 people worldwide in more than 90 countries. In Uganda, our program is anchored on three broad themes deliberately focused on Women’s Rights: Resilient Livelihoods, Governance and Accountability and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
Job Summary: The Finance & Administrative Assistant will assist the response in managing petty cash and field office transactions; support in the administration. The primary responsibility of this position is to manage finances and Administration at the field office to ensure proper utilization of organizational resources and timely financial reporting. The FAO will be exemplary in his commitment to Oxfam Novib core values, upholding principles and policies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the office petty cash and make payments of casual staff and volunteers as approved by the Response Manager.
- Preparation of monthly imprest reports for submission to the FO.
- Preparation of project financial reports in collaboration with the FO.
- Support the partners to develop and maintain project financial reporting templates and based on monthly visits provide advice on the improvement of financial management systems of partners
- Budget preparation and analysis as and when required
- Ensure timely and eligible accountability of staff project/travel advances
- Create, send, and follow up on invoices, payments and accountabilities
- Carry out random verifications of completed works and assets together with Logistics and Programme teams.
- Answer questions and provide assistance to stakeholders, volunteers, suppliers and contractors as needed
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
- Adhere to the company’s or organization’s financial policies and procedures
- Follow up with various attendance sheets of casuals at various sites/locations for payments
Admin & Management
- Facilitate hotel and guesthouse bookings for OXFAM staff and visitors, follow-up the presentation of monthly bills and ensure that approved payment request is submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure Cleanliness of Oxfam Kyaka ll office & Supervision of the guards & Cleaner while making sure their payment requests are processed promptly & accurately.
- Monitor the Usage of Utilities to ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency.
- Assist with new hire selection process field level including providing orientation and ensuring the provision of appropriate training
- coordinates and prepare staff work and leave schedules and support in documenting of absences including staff timesheets
- Managing staff welfare issues such as Welcoming/ Sendoff parties, office snacks, and office space allocation.
- Organize replies to correspondence (email and letters), maintaining a list of key dates (e.g. expiry of employment / service contracts, registration requirements, audits, public holidays, visits, etc.)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Oxfam Finance & Administrative Assistant job should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, or a related field;
- Two to three years of experience in managing finance & administration in an INGO; experience in managing UNHCR funding projects is an added advantage.
- Excellent financial Understanding of data privacy standards;
- Integrity; honesty; interpersonal relations skills;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Planning, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Computer skills, particularly with spreadsheets and calculation software
- Key Attributes
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications in writing, including a cover letter and curriculum vitae (Not exceeding 2MB) to the HR and Admin Coordinator at email@example.com
Deadline: 17th April 2019