Fresher IT Officer UNHCR Project Jobs – Windle International Uganda (WIU)
Job Title: IT Officer
Organization: Windle International Uganda (WIU)
Funding Source: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Administration Officer
Windle International Uganda (WIU) formerly Windle Trust Uganda is a registered INGO whose mission is to promote peace and development in communities through provision and coordination of Education and training for Refugees and people affected by conflict.
Windle International Uganda is the lead partner of UNHCR in implementing Education Projects in Uganda with close collaboration with the Government of Uganda through the Office of the Prime Minister.
Job Summary: The IT Officer will ensure the provision of superior customer service throughout the organization, through the maintenance, enhancement and efficient operation of IT functions. Additionally, the role will include responsibility for ensuring the security and integrity of IT operations and systems. The flexibility to work outside normal business hours is integral to this role, as is the ability to work under broad direction and minimal supervision.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The role holder will work collaboratively with the outsourced IT Team to achieve the following:
- Provide first point of IT support contact for all WIU staff, covering all hardware, software and associated peripherals.
- Deploy computers, technology, and associated peripherals including new installations and redeployment of existing equipment.
- Install and configure operating systems and software to agreed standards
- Manage the local area network and internet connection.
- Set up Email accounts for staff and solve password and access problems when they arise
- Recommend, source, install, and maintain network equipment such as firewalls, routers, and switches.
- Maintain existing equipment to standards, by performing upgrades, new installations, and carrying out routine procedures.
- Assist the Communications Department in maintaining the Organization’s website and Social media Accounts
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of an accurate inventory of hardware and software, and ensuring that records are kept up-to-date within the service desk system.
- Ensure network security through installation of appropriate hardware and software, as well development of IT policies
- Support the Security Section in managing the surveillance software and hardware
- Troubleshoot technical issues to resolution and/or escalate to colleagues, suppliers, or partner organizations as required.
- Action all logged incidents and service requests in WIU’s designated service desk system, where necessary login on behalf of WIU staff.
- Expedite maintenance and the repair of hardware faults and software configuration problems, notifying or forwarding to the relevant suppliers in a timely manner.
- Work with colleagues to monitor performance of WIU systems, ensuring that issues are appropriately escalated and resolved.
- Provide technical assistance to project field staff and undertake technical project roles when required.
- Manage IT infrastructure improvement projects, including scheduling and budgeting.
- Demonstrate commitment to and promotion of a culture of service excellence and continual improvement within the IT Department.
- Maintain and develop excellent working relationships with key suppliers, conducting dealings in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Provide at all times a professional, courteous and rapid response to individual users.
- Supervise, train, and mentor junior staff members in all of the above.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Windle International Uganda (WIU) IT Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, information technology, or a related discipline from a recognized university
- Two to three years of relevant hands-on I.T/industry work experience.
- Experience in and understanding of NGO or INGO and specifically refugee operations would be an added advantage
- Relevant Microsoft certification.
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC/HP Hardware.
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards
- Software and hardware troubleshooting.
- Windows desktop (7/8) and Windows Server (at least 2010) experience.
- Experience working and training on a variety of I.T subjects and applications.
- Excellent Writing and oral communication skills.
- Good research skills, including ability to identify and propose solutions to issues/crisis.
- Knowledge of Android technologies, Smart Phones, LAN and Wi-Fi configurations.
- Experience working within a fast-paced environment.
- A creative problem-solver
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should submit their applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae, 2 years’ salary history, copies of academic transcripts and certificates including telephone, email contacts and details of at least three professional referees addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Windle International Uganda,
P.O Box 24230 Kampala, Uganda
Applications must be hand delivered to The Windle House, Plot 726 Nagawa Close, Mawanda Road, Mulago Hill, Kamwokya.
Deadline: 10th January, 2019 by 5pm
- Windle International is an equal opportunity employer; Females, minority groups and People with disabilities who qualify for any of the above vacancies are encouraged to apply.
- No canvassing or lobbying will be tolerated. Individuals found to have done so will immediately be disqualified and black listed.
- Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted.