Fresher Operations Assistant – Airport UN Job Opportunities – International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Job Title: Operations Assistant – Airport (2 Job Vacancies)
Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Officer
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Summary: The Operations Assistant – Airport is mainly responsible for performing resettlement operations in compliance with IOM established procedures to ensure orderly and timely movements of refugees and migrants:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transmit IOM Travel documents from IOM office to the airport for the migrants departing, or transiting Entebbe.
- Arrange for USRAP promissory notes and Canadian warrants to be signed prior to departure from Entebbe international airport.
- Liaise with airlines regarding pre-check-in procedures for IOM groups.
- Coordinate migrants’ transportations between IOM Transit Centre and Entebbe international airport.
- Check airline tickets and verify travel documents and migrants’ identities prior to check-in.
- Arrange check-in of the migrants departing Entebbe international airport assisting with bags, providing ID verification, leading departing migrants through customs and immigration.
- Tag refugee baggage.
- Ensure that relevant airport services are accessed for cases with special needs; including medical and unaccompanied minors.
- Liaise with airlines, immigration, airport authorities on procedures for IOM passengers.
- Arrange for meals and accommodation as necessary for all IOM passengers in case of delay with departure.
- Inform Sr. Operations Assistants of any flight changes, cancellations.
- Confirm departures to Operations Assistants, and provide bag count for transmitting the data to the receiving IOM mission.
- Assist with arrival formalities to returning migrants at EBB airport and arrange for ground transportation.
- Report on arriving migrants to Operations Assistants, and IOM sending missions.
- Reports on the costs incurred by arriving migrants to Operations Assistants and sending IOM missions for proper settlement.
- Perform any other duties assigned that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Operations Assistant – Airport job opportunity should hold a High School Degree/ Certificate with four years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with two years of relevant experience in social sciences or related field
- Diploma in IATA Standard or airline related field.
- Four years of resettlement or movement experience.
- Experience working with actors involved in movements: RSC, UNHCR, airport authorities etc.
- Three years of resettlement or airline experience, such as experience working with actors involved in movements: RSC, UNHCR, airport authorities.
- Strong practical computer skills, including MS Word, Excel. Proficiency in AMADEUS, and Mimosa. Knowledge of USRAP, Australian, Canadian, and European IOM resettlement procedures.
- Required IOM functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player, and cross cultural facilitator.
- Ability to read, understand and apply written instructions and guidelines; interpret instructions and resolve work related problems; detect input/output errors; perform basic arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads and deadlines.
- Keen attention to details.
- Accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule
- Thorough knowledge of English and Swahili, Kinyabwisha and Kinyarwanda is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated resumes with three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 07/06/018 Operations Assistant- Airport.” Please ensure that send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF. The title of your attachment should be your full name.
NB: Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Deadline: 15th July 2018 by 12:00pm