Fresher WPE Legal Officer US Non-profit Jobs – International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Job Title: WPE Legal Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: WPE Manager
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: The WPE Legal Officer will identify legal needs in the field; provide counseling, information and legal options. The Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions, legal case management and follow ups, detention facility visits, awareness creation on rights and obligations of refugees under Ugandan Laws. She/he will work with communities particularly Paralegals to ensure access to legal assistance is accessible by all.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Community Paralegals to support community leadership groups, especially Neighborhood Watch Committees to support advocacy at the community level along with Prevention Officers.
- Undertake regular monitoring and visits of detention and prison facilities
- Provide legal counseling, information and available legal options to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Carry out legal information sessions on human rights and key Laws relating to protection of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct case management and follow up on legal cases with relevant authorities.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Participate in legal trainings as directed by the WPE Manager
- Support Community Paralegals to conduct legal information sessions on rights and obligation of refugee, key offences and punishments in Uganda, International human rights laws relating to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Support the WPE Manager to analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Supervise community Paralegals in undertaking mediation and other aspects of alternative dispute resolutions.
- Support WPE Manager in delivering legal trainings on national and international legal frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Raise PRs to support procurement processes
- Perform any other duty as requested by the WPE Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) WPE Legal Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree of Law or a Diploma in Law from a recognized university.
- A minimum of two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization for degree holders. Diploma holders who can provide a significant experience of working with refugee communities and demonstrate an awareness of the challenges in this role may be considered.
- Belief in human rights including gender equality.
- Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of International Human Rights and Refugee Law;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently. Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs, cover letters and filled application form, download here, clearly indicating “Legal Officer SouthWest” as the subject to: UA-IRCJobs@rescue.org (The Human Resource and Administration department, International Rescue Committee)
Deadline: 22nd January 2019