Head of Department /Finance Department Employment Opportunity – The Electoral Commission
Organization: The Electoral Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Finance and Administration
The Electoral Commission of Uganda, also Uganda Electoral Commission, is a constitutionally established organ of the Government of Uganda, whose mandate is to “organise and conduct regular, free and fair elections” in the country, in an efficient, professional and impartial manner. It was established under Article 60 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda.
Job Summary: To assist the Accounting Officer, through the Director, Finance and Administration in discharging the duties prescribed under the Public Finance Management Act in order to ensure proper use and accountability for resources.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and forwarding payments for approval;
- Maintaining proper books of accounts and the relevant supporting document including the safe custody of such documents;
- Timely preparation and submission of financial statements and reports to the Accountant General and Auditor General;
- Attending management meetings and advising on financial matters;
- Provide timely, accurate and reliable financial information to support management decision making process;
- Follow up on audit queries and implementation of audit recommendations;
- Monitor commitments, expenditures, appropriations, accounts receivables and revenues within the vote and taking corrective action where necessary;
- Ensuring compliance with financial manuals, policies, computerized GFMIS, instructions and circulars;
- Managing, supervising and appraising staff in the finance department;
- Supporting and coordinating internal and external audits;
- Preparing and submitting an annual report on performance of duties to the Accountant General;
- Performing any other financial management duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Finance and Accounting or Finance or Business Administration or a related field from a recognized University/Institution and full professional qualification in either CPA or ACCA and membership to the ICPAU.
- At least ten years of relevant working experience at least three (3) of which should have been served at the level of Principal Election Officer in Electoral Commission/Finance or equivalent level of relevant experience in in a reputable organization.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Suite and other applicable statistical software;
- Ability to use e-government platforms;
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of staff engaged in electoral activities;
- Ability to compile and analyze data and prepare comprehensive reports;
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders;
- Ability to observe and maintain confidentiality in the performance of duties;
- High integrity;
- Knowledge of government policies and administrative procedures;
- Well developed interpersonal skills and capable of working well as a member of the organization’s senior management team.
- Age: 35 years and above
How to Apply:
Applications with comprehensively typed CVs showing the applicant’s contact address with day time telephone numbers, addresses and day time telephone numbers of three referees, copies of academic transcripts and certificates should be sent to the Human Resource Office/Central Registry or mailed to the address indicated below;
Head, Human Resource Management
P.O. Box 22678
NB: Envelopes should be clearly marked at the top with the words “Application for the post of ”
Deadline: Tuesday 4th August, 2020