Head of Information Technology Job Placement – Opportunity Bank
Job Title: Head of Information Technology
Organisation: Opportunity Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Opportunity Bank (U) Ltd is a leading provider of microfinance services in Uganda with huge expansion plans. The Bank is a member of the MyBucks SA group, a leading FINTECH provider and Opportunity International, a global microfinance institution serving over 3 Million in different countries.
Job Summary: The Head of Information Technology is responsible for providing strategic vision and operational IT leadership for Information Technology Department and be accountable for directing, planning, organizing, and controlling all IT Functions. In addition, the role is responsible for sound technical leadership in all aspects of the Bank business, driving and overseeing the implementation of new IT systems and projects, including management of staff and projects in accordance with the Bank’s policies, procedures and standards. Strategic thinking and strong business acumen are essential in this position, we expect you to be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business concepts. The Head of IT is a member of the Executive Committee/EXCO of management and also represents the Bank on external forums as directed by EXCO.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Development and Implementation:
Formulate the Banks’s IT strategy in response to business needs, recommend appropriate and cost-effective technical solutions and establish budgetary and risk implications including documentation and security of all IT systems in line with the ICT trends and IT governance standards. Specifically;
- Select and implement suitable technology to streamline all internal operations and help optimize their strategic benefits
- Design and customize technological systems and platforms to improve customer experience
- Monitor changes or advancements in technology to discover ways the company can gain competitive advantage
- Analyze the costs, value and risks of information technology to advise management and suggest actions
- Audit systems and assess their outcomes
- Set objectives and strategies for the ICT and innovations Department Leadership:
- Foster an environment encouraging further development of subordinates’ skills through formal training/schooling or on the job training.
- Mentors employees in business process, technology and associated skill sets
- Meets with managers and staff to determine impact of proposed changes in hardware or software on computer operations and services to end users.
- Meets with managers to discuss mentoring and management strategies, progress of work, resolve problems and ensure that standards for quality and quantity of work are met
- Work with IT Unit leaders to establish employee development plans including formal training and contingency planning
- Meet with peers and their key personnel relative to the successful delivery of the Bank’s goals, objectives and initiatives.
- Manages training for the subordinate departments ensuring adequate levels of proficiency are developed and maintained.
Departmental Work Plan Development, Implementation and Monitoring: Develop the annual business technology work plan and budgets and set benchmarks for the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the planned projects against set targets to support and advance business goals and initiatives of the Bank.
ICT Project Management & Monitoring: Analyze the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs, design, develop, implement and coordinate systems, policies and procedures and plan the implementation of new systems and provide guidance to IT professionals and other staff within the organization.
- Ensure customer service is timely and accurate on a daily basis
- Recruit, train and support help desk representatives and technicians
- Establish best practices through the entire technical support process
- Develop daily, weekly and monthly reports on help desk team’s productivity
Budgeting/Planning: Handle annual budget and ensure cost effectiveness during and after the budget period, control budget on a regular basis and report expenditure regularly for corrective action.
IT Operations and Infrastructure Security:
- Oversee all technology operations and evaluate them according to established goals
- Devise and establish IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by upper management
- Identify the need for upgrades, configurations or new systems and report to upper management
- Manage information technology and computer systems
- Preserve assets, information security and control structures
- Oversee data backup and system security operations (e.g. user authorization, firewalls)
- Manage installations, upgrades and configurations of hardware and software Role
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or relevant field or related field. Master’s degree in information technology or a technology-related discipline preferred
- Seven years of experience in any of the following areas; IT Security, Technical support, Systems Administration, Applications support, Electronic Banking/Channels Support, Programming.
- Three years in senior management positions such as CTO, CIO, Head Technology in a vibrant technology firm, business or financial institution. Experience in the banking industry would be a distinct advantage.
- Sound knowledge of technological trends to build strategy
- Able to be a “big picture” thinker
- Goal-oriented and organized leadership, team building, and management skills
- Encouraging to team and staff; able to mentor and lead, excellent verbal and written communication skills, in-depth understanding of the industry
- Takes ownership of IT voice and vision, creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge, able to analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
- Hands-on experience on Infrastructure, IT Operations, and/or IT Development
- Understanding of budgets, business-planning and controlling IT budget
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Able to build strong interpersonal relationships with other senior management throughout the company
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their signed application letters together with their curriculum vitae to: The Human Resource Manager, Opportunity Bank Uganda Limited, Plot 1259, Old Kira road, P.O. Box 33513, Kampala. Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 14th January 2019
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020