Head of Programs UK NGO Jobs – Teach A Man To Fish
Organisation: Teach A Man To Fish UK
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Manager
Salary and benefits: UGX 7,000,000 gross salary per month, medical health insurance for staff + at least 2 dependants.
Internal Relations: Country Manager, Finance and Administration Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
External Relations: MoES, DEOS & Partners
Teach A Man To Fish is guided by a simple, all-encompassing mission: to empower young people with the skills they need to succeed, in school, work, and life. We focus on developing and emerging countries. This is done through supporting schools to set up educational and profitable school businesses that provide real-life hands-on training and experience for students. This empowers student entrepreneurs with critical workplace, entrepreneurship and life skills and mindsets so that they can leave school with the competencies to get a good job or run their own successful business. We are a small organization with big reach – Since 2006, we’ve created over 300,000 student entrepreneurs and 18,000 enterprising teachers through our global programmes.
Job Summary: The overall objective of this position is to ensure that Teach A Man To Fish’s portfolio of programmes are implemented in line with donor and contractual requirements and with the highest quality of impact for the beneficiaries, clients and partners. The Head of Programmes will be accountable for delivery of our projects on time, scope and budget as per project management standards as well as ensuring prompt and high quality reporting. The Head of Programmes will develop tools and systems as well as building the capacity of programme leads to ensure a high-performing, efficient and effective programmes team. The Head of Programmes reports to the Country Manager and works closely with the MEAL Manager, while line managing the ECW Programme Manager, YEC Programme Manager, Waterloo Senior Field Officer and DFID Program Officer (tbc).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all project implementation is aligned with Country Strategy and that projects are implemented according to donor compliance standards and objectives as well as those of Teach A Man To Fish.
- Continually monitor and evaluate programme implementation to determine necessary adaptations to meet programme goals and objectives.
- Responsible for effective use of tools for project monitoring by programme teams, and review and development of tools where necessary.
- Ensure that all projects are implemented on time, scope and budget.
- Oversee grant reporting and ensure that it is high quality, accurate and on time.
- Regular follow up with the field team to ensure all monitoring tools and trackers completed accurately and according to the agreed schedule.
- Manage, coach and empower ECW Programme Manager, YEC Programme Manager, Waterloo Senior Field Officer and DFID Program Officer (tbc). Capacity build the team and manages their performance.
- Review the quality of the work completed with the line reports on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the agreed standards.
- Support the MEAL Manager to plan, ensure project learnings documented and disseminated, ensure that project design improved in relation to learnings.
- Regular travel to the field for monitoring and quality assurance of the projects.
Income generation and Fundraising 20%
- Support fundraising team by inputting to programme design, consultations, narrative and budget for funding applications as requested.
- Deliver high quality donor reports for sign off by CM/HoF on time
- Support CM to represent Teach A Man To Fish at meetings with key partners, donors and government as necessary
Operations (Finance and Compliance) 20%
- Ensure effective financial management of assigned budgets in line with finance and procurement policy
- Liaise with admin team on all procurement and ensure procurement carried out in line with procurement policy
- Ensure on time, accurate financial reports and requisitions accompanied by receipts
- Member of Uganda Senior Management Team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Head of Programs job placement must hold a Master’s Degree in relevant field
- At least 10 years’ experience in an NGO with increasing management responsibility including a minimum 5 years in a programme management role
- Experience in the use of management information systems and tools for analysis to make improvements to ways of working, processes, procedures and/or resources.
- Proven track record of excellent program cycle management within a complex organizational structure.
- Prior experience in the design, delivery, or management of programmes in education and youth economic empowerment in Uganda/East Africa or in a country with similar context.
- Proven track record of managing donor grants and delivering high quality reporting across a portfolio of projects
- Line management experience of 3+ reports
- Highly motivated, organised and able to manage competing priorities on a tight timeline
- Ability to work independently, as part of a small, high-performing team.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- No criminal record (to be evidenced by a letter of good conduct from Interpol).
- Qualification in project management, monitoring and evaluation or similar
- Ability to follow on details and hold the project team responsible for results
- Clear and effective communication that builds relationships in order to influence others
- Proactively organises and manages performance
- Responsibility for own decisions
- Cooperates and work with team members
- Demonstrate high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Confident in taking initiative and exploring new opportunities
- Strongly drives performance in the area of responsibility with the team
How to Apply:
All candidates should submit a maximum of 4 paged CV and one-page cover letter (combined into a single PDF document). Please be sure to clearly show in your cover letter why you are interested in this job and what makes you the most suitable candidate. Please also include your salary history. Completed applications should be sent to email@example.com with ” Application: Interim Head of Programs” in the title of the email
NB: Do not attach academic documents at this point. Qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Monday 6th April 2021.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda