Inclusive Education Project Manager NGO Jobs – Handicap International (Salary 6m)
Job Title: Inclusive Education Project Manager
Organisation: Handicap International
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Reports to: Field Coordinator
Starting Salary: UGX 6,000,000 monthly gross
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. Handicap International is outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Job Summary: The Inclusive Education Project called “AIMS (Access to Inclusive and Meaningful Services in Education) Education for learners with disabilities”, funded by Education Cannot Wait through the Education Consortium Management Unit to be launched in January is targeting the West Nile refugee settlements areas in the districts of Arua (Rhino camp, Omugo and Imvepi settlements), Yumbe (Bidibidi settlement) and Moyo (Palorinya settlement). The project will support mainstream education actors to improve inclusion of children with disabilities within their Education Response in line with the Education Response Plan implying the need for strong coordination and cooperation. The intervention covers the provision of specific services to children with disabilities (Comprehensive Rehabilitation, medical support) and the implementation of a set of activities to improve school stakeholders’ capacities to better include children with disabilities through training, provision of specific material and technical supports as well as direct services to children with disabilities and families/caretakers including rehabilitation counselling and psychosocial support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of HI Field Coordinator in Arua and in direct coordination with HI Technical Unit and Operations Coordinator, the Project Manager will:
Ensure operational implementation of the project (project cycle management) and technical supervision
- Coordinate the implementation of the project following the different steps of the project cycle in close coordination with partners, national and local authorities;
- Implement directly activities falling under PM responsibilities;
- Support technically project implementation including in the design and implementation of the activities in coordination with the Technical Unit including Inclusive Education Technical Advisor (IE TA);
- Ensure appropriate monthly, quarterly, half-year and yearly planning of the project activities;
- Ensure project indicators follow-up and develop adapted tools to do so with Project MEAL Officer;
- Carry out support and follow-up missions in the zones of intervention;
- Identify implementation challenges and propose appropriate solutions / adjustments;
- Develop and timely submit internal and external project reports respecting donors requirements and quality standards in coordination with Technical Unit according to specialties;
- Pilot monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes related to the project with MEAL Officer and IE TA;
- Facilitate cooperation and synergies with other HI teams (mutual planning and resources sharing);
- Ensure coordination between project team and technical unit through support requests and regular meetings according to the needs to ensure intervention quality;
- Pilot external evaluations processes and ensure recommendations implementation.
Ensure proper coordination with partners and other external stakeholders
- Regularly inform and exchange with Education Consortium Management Unit (ECMU) on project level of implementation, challenges met and solutions proposed;
- Ensure respect of partnership agreement with ECMU;
- Develop MoU with partner organisations and ensure respect of the terms of the understanding according to project design under the supervision of the Field Coordinator;
- Ensure regular coordination meeting with partner organisations including common evaluation of project implementation;
- Propose, in coordination with Technical Unit, adapted means to answer challenges faced by partner organisations and ensure implementation of adapted activities;
- Represent the project towards external partners, local and national;
- Represent HI in the different coordination platforms;
- Contribute to staffs and partners’ capacity building according to identified needs and project activities.
Ensure administrative and financial management of the project
- Together with support services:
- Endorse budget holder responsibilities;
- Establish annual budgetary planning and monthly treasury forecasts;
- Ensure proper and regular follow-up of project’s expenses, analyse discrepancies, anticipate evolutions and propose budgetary adjustments;
- Ensure proper storage of project documentation;
- Ensure respect of internal and donors financial procedures (eligibility and flexibility rules);
- Support the financial manager in the development of financial reports;
- Ensure respect of procurement and service provision procedures (logistics).
Manage and support project team
- Ensure support and management of the project team ;
- Ensure development and evaluation of the individual objectives of the project team;
- Participate to the recruitment of the team members if needed, respecting HI human resources standards and procedures;
- Contribute to staff capacity building through skills and knowledge transfer;
- Ensure appropriate flow and coordination of information between project team and other HI services;
- Ensure development and follow-up of individual action plans.
Ensure proper external Representation and Coordination in his field of expertise
- Within time and means constraints, and in coordination with Operations Coordinator:
- Support other project teams intervening in the PM’s field of expertise on technical aspects (indicators development, training plans, proposal writing…)
- Participate in needs assessments in appropriate fields of expertise;
- Contribute to new project design and to programme strategic development reflexion.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for Handicap International Inclusive Education Project Manager job must hold a Master’s Degree in Inclusive Education, Special Needs Education or Education sciences if relevant experience working with children with disabilities OR Master Degree (OT, SLT, Psychology, Child development) if applicant has relevant Education Experience. Other relevant Master Degree if proven experience in Education and Disability fields.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in an NGO at managerial position, at least 2 years of professional experience in project cycle management and at least 2 years of professional experience in Education
- Project cycle management and related tools and methodologies;
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation tools and systems;
- Knowledge of the Education and Disability Sectors in Uganda
- Capacity building, training and coaching skills in design and implementation
- Proven managerial skills
- Proven representation experience;
- Ability to work under high pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Strong interest in the fields related to HI mandate
- Perfect fluency in English: written and spoken and strong writing skills;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join Handicap International are encouraged to send their updated CVs (3 pages max, including three professional references) with cover letters to HR Coordinator at email@example.com with the subject: Application for Inclusive Education Project Manager.
NB: Applicants from West Nile region are strongly encouraged to apply. Any efforts to influence the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 7th January 2019 by 5:00pm
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020