Initiative Manager Job Placements – CARE International
Organisation: CARE International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: WENG Program Manager
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. We put women and girls in the centre because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda for 50 years and in 2019/2020, we improved the lives of 2.6 million people (60% women). Our goal for the next five years is to reach ten million people, through our gender transformative, resilience building, and lifesaving programs
About The Evergreening Project:
CARE International in Uganda with funding from G9 Ark Foundation is implementing a 5-year project in Northern Uganda. The project will be implemented in partnership with CRS, World Vision and other implementing agencies. The project aims to reverse global warming by restoring 302,656 hectares of ecosystems that have been destroyed by mankind since the beginning of the industrial revolution in Agago, Gulu, Kitgum, Omoro & Pader districts (in Acholi Sub region) and Kole, Otuke & Oyam districts (in Lango Sub region).
Job Summary: The Initiative Manager will be responsible for managing all aspects of Evergreening Project funded by ARK 2030 Foundation, including human resources, planning and timely and quality implementation of the project in line with approved proposal, work plans, CARE’s and GEA rules and regulations. S/he is responsible for the management of the project assets and financial in line with approved budget and donor requirements. The holder of this position will be directly responsible for the project monitoring, evaluation and reporting with support from the WENG M&E Specialist.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Planning and Implementation (30% of time)
- Lead the setting up, planning and management of the Evergreening project.
- Provide technical oversight in all capacity development interventions, needs assessment and evaluations.
- Manage the staff performance and build the team for delivering the project desired objectives.
- Ensure Detailed Implementation Plan is followed and closely monitored to ensure timely implementation of activities and within available resources
- Promote effective implementation of project’s visibility and communications plan.
- Facilitate smooth coordination between the consortium members and other agencies such NEMA, NFA and other INGOs, active in the delivery of all relevant interventions to avoid duplication, leverage comparative strengths, and contribute to joint advocacy.
- Take lead in monitoring and reviewing the project’s budget & monthly expenditure reports to ensure compliance to CARE’s and the donors’ rules and regulations.
- Work closely with finance to prepare accurate and timely donor financial reports and ensuring allocation of expenses to the right budget lines, preparing quarterly projection of needed funds, pipeline projections, etc.
- Lead in preparation of procurement plans for all goods and services related to these initiatives, according to approved budgets and activity plans and in line with both CARE and the donors’ procurement rules and policies
Program Quality (20%)
- Participate in grants acquisition under Evergreening project through proposals and concepts and development
- Ensure that the project is aligned to CARE’s Gender, Resilience and Governance Markers
- Promote gender equity and diversity in all project aspects
- Models CARE’s core values, commitment to Gender Equity and Diversity, and Safeguarding policies.
- Build on CARE Uganda’s strengths in the financial inclusion sector, in Women’s Economic Empowerment and on relationships with existing partners (banks, private sector, etc)
- Develop a gender, youth and advocacy, natural resources management strategies Evergreening project, within three months
- Ensure coordination with other Natural Resources and Livelihood actors in Local and National levels through participation technical working groups and other avenues
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) (20%)
- Work with the M&E specialist to create and maintain project database to allow keeping track of project participants/reach
- Compile and share donor’s narrative and financial reports in a timely manner
- Ensure that project indicators are sex disaggregated and gender sensitive
- Ensure CARE and partner staff are trained on the developed monitoring and evaluation system
- Ensure the routine collection, assembly and reporting of related climate change indicators and environmental/agricultural information concerning services provided and their subsequent impacts
- Contribute to refinement and application of restoration metrics, working closely with program and monitoring/evaluation teams
- Coordinate and supervise the baseline and periodic monitoring survey work in the priority landscape
- Facilitate and document regular project reviews with key partners and ensure these reviews inform project implementation and are used to improve project quality
- Ensure learning products, briefs, human interest stories and papers that can be used for advocacy or information purposes are developed and disseminated
- Facilitate a participatory approach in project management, planning, and implementation among consortium members and partners, in the location of operation with a focus on cross-learning and harmonization of common activities
- Collaborate with the M&E Specialist to ensure that project data are reported annually in Project/Program Impact Information Reporting (PIIR) System and Marker
Partner’s Management & Nurturing (20%)
- Collaborate with Grants and Contracts to conduct due diligence and organizational capacity assessments in line with CARE and GEA’s policies before signing MOUs
- Ensure selected sub grantees have clear MOUs, Scopes of Work and detailed budgets as per policy and are very clear about their role
- Initiate discussions with sub grantees on revisions of SOWs, work plans and budget as needed;
- Lead on-going capacity building at organizational and technical level, including attention to Gender Equity and Diversity based on findings of due diligence and capacity assessments
- Ensure sub grantees’ agreements are in line with CARE International’s sub agreement policy
- Manage relationships with these sub grantees to ensure deliverables are met timely and with quality and also partners have in-depth knowledge of the projects’ objectives and strategies
- Ensure sub grantees’ financial and narrative reports are submitted timely and analyzed and that feedback is shared with partners
- Take leadership in ongoing review of sub grantees’ performance and provision of support as needed
- Ensure that sub grantees are involved in all critical project events like planning & review meetings, steering committee meetings, baseline and evaluation studies
Support Country Office 5%
- Attend the CO organized events (PQL meetings, All Managers meetings and learning events)
- Represent CARE on steering committees, working committees and task forces where nominated.
- Externally, the Manager will maintain regular contact and dialogue with strategic partner organizations, key Government Ministries. Regular contact, information sharing and collaboration will also be nurtured with other key stakeholders working within the sector; both at national, regional and international level.
Any other Duties as assigned (5%)
- Advocacy and influencing
- Resource Mobilization
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Master’s degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Land Economics or related field is required is a must
- At least 7+ years’ experience in ecological resource restoration, Climate Smart
- Agriculture, Forest Management, Natural Resources Management and Livelihood projects or programs
- Must have at least 5 years of proven practical project management experience including strong skills and experience in M&E, report writing, participatory planning, financial management, people’s management.
- Practical experience in financial inclusion (VSLAs and bank linkages), market engagement and value chain approaches, on and off farm livelihood preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Commitment to CARE’s mission and values.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (additional language abilities welcome).
- Computer literacy (email, Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Strong managerial, networking, relationship building and partnership nurturing skills
- Familiar with working in various partnership frameworks at local Government and National levels.
- Significant experience of creating partnerships and relationship-building in consortia.
- Proven track record of leading a high performing team.
How to Apply:
Interested and suitable candidates should submit their applications and CVs including the names, daytime telephone contacts and email addresses of three work related referees to
Please indicate job title in your email subject line.
Please Note that CARE does not ask any applicant payment for any recruitment process.
Deadline: 31st May 2020