IT Intern Job Placements – Uganda Christian University
Organization: Uganda Christian University
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Salary Scale: Attractive
Uganda Christian University (UCU), a private institution founded in 1997 by the Province of the Church of Uganda is dedicated through teaching, scholarship, service, spiritual formation, student development and social involvement, to the preparation of students for thoughtful, productive lives of Christian faith and service in their respective professions and places.
Job Summary: This is a one year internship programme for the best graduating students (2017 -2019 graduation) in the Department of IT. It is intended to improve the visibility and attractiveness of the programmes that are offered in the Department of Information Technology (IT) and to improve outreach to both the University and the community. The successful interns will work under the Faculty of Science and Technology, but in particular under the supervision of the Department of IT and the University ICT Services (UIS).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the Analysis, Design, Development, Testing and Documentation of new software solutions.
- Development of new applications as required by the University or as directed by supervisors.
- Development of improvements to existing solutions as required by UCU.
- Configure software development tools as required by UCU.
- Assist in the estimation of tasks, identify possible obstacles and propose appropriate solutions.
- Follow the university software data protection and security guidelines in developing software.
- Detect and predict code defects by peer reviewing code.
- Support the Department of IT in instruction of undergraduate students.
- Perform any other official duties that may be assigned by the Head of Department, IT.
- Shall be part of a team of software developers in the Systems & Software Development lab building industry leading, robust and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose and address the needs of the UCU community and beyond.
- Utilize the Systems & Software Development lab infrastructure, development processes and software programming techniques and provide feedback as appropriate.
- Contribute to building a productive, pleasant working environment using the senior team members in the IT and UIS departments as role models.
- Liaise with key officers at UIS and in the department of IT from time to time.
- Provide assistance to lecturers during practical sessions.
- Work with the systems administrator to maintain the department systems & develop new services to improve student’s experience.
- Work on real -world projects & exhibit them in the annual ICT conference
- The interns report to the Head, Department of IT and the Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Should have been a student from Uganda Christian University (completed in 2016 and 2019) in Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills
- Exposure to programming languages (C++, java, etc)
- Exposure to developing in a Linux and/or a Windows Environment
- Exposure to use of Object Oriented and Agile techniques
- Exposure of PostgreSQL/MySQL
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider team
- Bright, highly self-motivated and a team player.
- Passionate about software development.
- Dependable and committed to continuous improvement.
- Ability to solve problems quickly.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment
- Must be able to pay attention to detail.
- Maintain a professional manner at all times.
- Able to innovate in an environment where software reliability is non-negotiable.
- Should be a mature and practicing Christian.
Benefits of the Internship programme
- Increased research visibility for staff at FOST and UIS
- Development of ICT systems for the university that is relevant to its needs and operations.
- Increased interest and motivation for current UCU undergraduate students.
- Development of the next generation of staff for UCU as it strives to be a center of excellence in the heart of Africa.
- Spearhead the use of ICT in the delivery of learning through development and enhancement of e -learning systems.
- Enhance practical experience and transferable skills for both staff and students.
- Introduce interns to a prospective career path in systems and software development.
- Improve scientific writing skills for staff and interns through involvement in funding, and proposal writing.
- Increased funding to the University through grants.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified applicants Send two (2) copies of an application letter together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references; two (2) Copies of academic certificates and transcripts.
To: The Director, Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University
Pilkington Building, P.O. Box 4, Mukono
OR Apply online at the link below
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 31st January 2020