Researcher – Re:Build – Jobs in Kenya
This role can be based either in Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda.
The IRC is seeking a Researcher, based in Nairobi or Kampala to support the design, development, management and implementation of the research, learning and evidence generating activities for a 30M+ euro five and a half year, multi-country multi-stakeholder urban livelihoods programs implemented in Nairobi and Kampala.
The Researcher will be a part of the Re:Build project management team (PMT) and the ERD technical unit. The Researcher will be based in IRC’s urban office in Uganda, Kampala or IRC’s regional hub in Nairobi, Kenya. This position will also work closely within Airbel – IRC’s research and innovation lab.
The Economic Recovery and Development Technical Unit (ERD TU) at the IRC is responsible for providing dynamic, innovative support to IRC’s field offices for their economic and livelihoods programming. This unit promotes best practices and ensures the IRC delivers high quality livelihoods programs.
The Airbel Research and Innovation Department supports the various technical units across the IRC to conduct or backstop research studies and innovation projects, and also leads initiatives that provide resources for country programs to design and implement programs based on evidence.
The Re:Build Researcher will play a critical role in the Re:Build project and within the ERD TU and R&I unit to carry out activities in support of the economic programming research priorities. The Researcher will be specifically responsible for coordinating across the various actors involved in the Re:Build research including country teams, Principal Investigators, data collection firms, academic partners, donors and internal departments across IRC.and playing a lead role in reporting research activities and progress to donors, and internal and external audiences. Additionally, the position may also be asked to support other business development activities within the economic research portfolio. This position requires strong project management and coordination skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills and prior experience working with qualitative & quantitative data.
• Support the design, development, management and implementation of the project’s research, learning and evidence generating activities
• Responsible for coordination with principal investigators and academic partners,
• Support design, documentation and dissemination of knowledge products.
• Play a lead role in securing ethics approval for ERD research studies and ensuring that all ERD research studies comply with ethical requirements and IRC research standards
• Work closely with relevant country programs to plan for and support research implementation
• Assist in developing research instruments, conducting data collection training, and monitoring progress of research activities
• Play a lead role in monitoring the quality of data collected and conducting data analysis, including cost-efficiency analysis and rolling out and monitoring of performance metrics for ERD programs
• Play a lead role in coordinating within ERD and across technical units and country programs to collect the necessary information for donor reporting. Responsible for ensuring completion and timely submission of donor reports
• Support research dissemination activities, including developing presentations, briefs and blog posts on research design and findings
• Represent the IRC’s ERD research priorities at internal and external events, as needed
• As requested, support research related business development activities, including conducting literature reviews, brainstorming research design ideas, developing proposals and engaging with country programs
• Education: PhD or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, or related field
• Work Experience: PhD with 2-3 years or Master’s with 4-6 years of work experience in research on topics related to the
humanitarian or development sector. Experience working with complex datasets and managing research projects.
• Language Skills: English required
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• High degree of proven organizational and project management skills required.
• Experience coordinating research teams/contributors, principal investigators, and facilitating groups of stakeholders to deliver high quality outputs according to established deadlines.
• Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills.
• At least three years field research experience conducting research or managing research projects in humanitarian and/or development settings across countries, with demonstrated experience leading their own research.
• Experience training and supervising field teams, project management, and history of publication of results
• Superior internal and external communication and coordination capabilities and capability to operate independently and as a team member. Excellent writing skills required.
• Experience in or knowledge of cash and/or voucher programs and livelihoods interventions and relevant research preferred.
• Experience managing donor funded programs and grants, including budget management, workplans, and reporting, and providing technical input to proposal-budget development efforts.
• Experience securing research related permits preferred.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards of Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity and Anti-Retaliation.
Important Safety Tips
1. Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.2. If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.