Legal Advisor — Resolve Non-profit Jobs – Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Project Manager
Vacancy Code: LARXE01
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University – John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Uganda is implementing the National Action plan for Health Security (NAPHS). a live-year plan jointly developed by several government ministries and agencies. The overall aim of the acceleration phase is to support government of Uganda to comply with the international Health Regulations, (IHR) 2005.
Job Summary: The Legal Advisor will work closely with the NAPHS Acceleration Team, Ministry of Health, and Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Ministry of Water and Environment, Uganda Wildlife Authority, Ministry of Justice, as well as other relevant legislative statutory authorities of government of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on legislative requirements for compliance with the International Health Regulations (2005)
- Lead in the review of legislative instruments (laws, policies, regulatory instruments) for consistency and coordination within the Uganda law and requirements of the International Health Regulations (2005)
- Liaise with the various government ministries to evaluate progress on the review or relevant acts and policies identified in the NAPHS.
- Provide legislative education, workshops or other trainings to parliamentary committees on health and other stakeholders on their roles in relation to development of health security laws.
- Identity global and regional best practices and conduct legal analyses on reviewed and proposed legislative instruments
- Provide legal guidance to the NAPHS Acceleration team on issues impinging on national laws and policies.
- Support dissemination of the activities outlined by contributing to legal articles, case studies, toolkits and other relevant reports
- Perform any other duties assigned from time to time by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Diploma in Legal Practice
- Masters of Laws or related qualification
- At least five years’ experience in legal practice, especially related to formulation of policies, bills, and laws
- A minimum of five years of progressive work experience in public health law. Familiarity with the International Health Regulations (2005) and global health security agenda targets
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in convening and leading legislative discussion with law makers and technical officials
- Demonstrated experience and skills in successful collaboration with senior and high ranking Government of Uganda officials and other public and private stakeholders.
- Understanding of the multi-sectorial and One Health approaches to achieving Global Health Security objectives.
- Excellent written and oral skills with demonstrated experience documenting and disseminating programme accomplishments
- Familiarity with government of Uganda structure and functions relating
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should E-mail their updated CVs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the following address. Please make sure that your application letter , CV and certificates are attached as one document and indicate the Vacancy code as the subject for your email
The Senior Human Resource Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 31st May 2019
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020